• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alexandrine trying to escape from cage non stop

Echoo

Moving in
Hello !
I'm new to this forum.
2 days ago I got my alexandrine parakeet and he is about month old.
He is still on his formula and sometimes eats seeds.
So I'm kinda experienced, so far I had budgie, aggressive cockatiel and lovely Platycercus elegans (dunno the english term)
He is spending a lot of time with me and my mom out of cage (8+ hours because he doesn't want to be in cage), we taught him how to step up today and stuff like that, but when it's time for him to get back into the cage, he just starts climbing everywhere and he realized that if he sneaks under the bowl for food and push it, it will fall out.
Problem is that bowl has its own frame and then he is trying to sneak out through it and I'm really scared that he will either break his wing or something or get stuck while I'm not home.
So have any of you experienced this and how did you stop it?
And also if you have any tips for hand feeding with formula, I would appreciate it :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
How big is his cage? My cages have a food door retainer bar so the bowl cannot be pushed out. If you have standalone feeders, replace them with the dimpled kind that lock into the ring.

Echoo

Moving in
How big is his cage? My cages have a food door retainer bar so the bowl cannot be pushed out. If you have standalone feeders, replace them with the dimpled kind that lock into the ring.
I've just replaced them with bowls he won't be able to push out, but he is trying to escape so hard that he scratched his beak somewhere inside the cage, problem is that the closest avian vet to me is 150km away.
Will he heal himself or should I worry? Not a huge scratch but he bled a lot.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
What's the size of his cage? What toys are in his cage? What enrichment is in his cage (such as foraging buckets or fresh food that can be shredded like romaine lettuce), where about is his cage? How much time do you spend with him? Is there anything surrounding his cage? Does he share a cage?

Birds beaks are sensitive, if it.s bleeding or he's not eating, drinking, climbing chewing etc or it's not like himself then perhaps a vet visit but if it's a light graze I wouldn't be too worried.

(Bump pushes the thread to the top of the list so more people will see it)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Put a flat perch over his food bowl to prevent him from pushing it up

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
At a month old, I would think he'd still need to be in a brooder type container for warmth and safety

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I've just replaced them with bowls he won't be able to push out, but he is trying to escape so hard that he scratched his beak somewhere inside the cage, problem is that the closest avian vet to me is 150km away.
Will he heal himself or should I worry? Not a huge scratch but he bled a lot.

did you locate what is sharp that he scratched on?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I d9nt understand what are you trying to say.
It is just a way of bringing the thread back to the top of the recent list.

Echoo

Moving in
I actually removed perch close to that bowl because he would just go under it and bowl at the same time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I actually removed perch close to that bowl because he would just go under it and bowl at the same time.

i meant flush underneath so he can't get under it

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
Do you think you could post pictures of his cage/bowls/toys? And maybe pictures of him and his beak?

Echoo

Moving in
At a month old, I would think he'd still need to be in a brooder type container for warmth and safety
The breeder who is experienced and also a friend of mine told me that I can move him into the cage,he held him in bucket with sawdust before I bought him.

(Bump pushes the thread to the top of the list so more people will see it)[/QUOTE]
Ok ty.

Echoo

Moving in
What's the size of his cage? What toys are in his cage? What enrichment is in his cage (such as foraging buckets or fresh food that can be shredded like romaine lettuce), where about is his cage? How much time do you spend with him? Is there anything surrounding his cage? Does he share a cage?

Birds beaks are sensitive, if it.s bleeding or he's not eating, drinking, climbing chewing etc or it's not like himself then perhaps a vet visit but if it's a light graze I wouldn't be too worried.

His cage is 60x50x70 cm but consider that he is only about 20cm big now becuase he is one month old, I'll be looking for a bigger cage when he grows up. Toys are ordered and I'm waiting for delivery,I live in a small town so choice is poor. His cage is in living room close to sofa on the floor, should I raise it somewhere higher? He is eating seeds and formula but I need to cut the formula slowly, that's what the breeder said, he is not sharing his cage and I'm on summer holidays so in spend around 12 hours with him per day. Most of it he sleeps on my shoulder.
So about the beak, injury is superficial and he is acting totally normal and I've even tried touching his beak and he didn't respond with any pain, but if I put him in his cage he is wildly trying to escape(not that he is bitting but just keeps trying to get out) and because of that whole day he is outside on the window he loves and by night he is in cage sleeping. He only tries to escape by day. As I said closest avian vet is 150km away and I'm just worried he won't get infection or something. But he is eating seeds even more than he used to even with the injury, he is chewing, climbing and doing his daily activity. Breeder told me that I shouldn't be worried because he had many situations like that and that they self healed properly. But I've painted the cage into silver colour which is really shiny and he is chewing parts of cage non stop and that may be why he injured himself, breeder told me that everything is possible and that even colour is the problem(it does not stink).

Echoo

Moving in
I've already replaced the bowl he could sneak through with the one that he can't push out and it's also sitting on bottom of his cage so he can go underneath aswell. Ty for help anyway

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
Try introducing pellets, veggies, and some fruits. Make sure they are safe for birds (NO rhubarb or avocado). It’s super important that he enjoys being in his cage so maybe try keeping his food in there and not outside of the cage (cage=food=happy). You can make some toys while you are waiting just out of cardboard or paper. Again make sure it is bird safe and make sure he isn’t swallowing it. For some toy ideas you can find some in this forum (pretty sure there’s an enrichment/foraging section) or just google DIY parrot foraging/enrichment. If you’re not sure if something is safe just ask. Also there are tons of recipes on here and online, try looking for chop/mash/birdie bread recipes. I have a couple recipes if you want me to post them here.

Echoo

Moving in
did you locate what is sharp that he scratched on?
I haven't. I think it's either piece of cardboard(makes no sense but that's where the most of the blood was)that I've put on the hole for food so he can't get out or he scratched it between the bars because he keeps putting his beak between them and also sometimes he is ripping colour off with his beak and injury is on his upper part of beak. In his cage he is either sleeping or doing some crazy stuff

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
Also he needs to be used to “in cage time” for when you are away. I’m assuming you won’t always be available 12 hours a day. It will be really unfair to him to spend that much time with him and then suddenly go back to work/school and leaving him alone all the time. He won’t understand why everything changed. Try to have a consistent routine, if he will be alone 5 (example) hours a day for most of his life, try to get him used to that.

Echoo

Moving in
Try introducing pellets, veggies, and some fruits. Make sure they are safe for birds (NO rhubarb or avocado). It’s super important that he enjoys being in his cage so maybe try keeping his food in there and not outside of the cage (cage=food=happy). You can make some toys while you are waiting just out of cardboard or paper. Again make sure it is bird safe and make sure he isn’t swallowing it. For some toy ideas you can find some in this forum (pretty sure there’s an enrichment/foraging section) or just google DIY parrot foraging/enrichment. If you’re not sure if something is safe just ask. Also there are tons of recipes on here and online, try looking for chop/mash/birdie bread recipes. I have a couple recipes if you want me to post them here.
Feel free to post them, ty a lot, he is still getting used to solid food but I'll try it out. And problem about picture is that max resolution has to be 1000x1000