• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Alexandrine Ringneck producing excessive saliva...

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Yes contrary to popular belief, birds do produce saliva...Lately I've realized that my friend's Alexandrine Ringneck is producing a lot of it, especially when he sees food or is eating it. I'm not around him enough to know if he's acting completely healthy, but I have noticed a change in his colors. They aren't as bright as they used to be. Even the redness of his beak seems to have lost it's bright shade. His tail hasn't been growing back either. My friend is refusing to take him to the vet, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on what I could do for his bird or how to convince him he should be taken in for a visit. I'm not sure my friend would take it well if I offered to take him to the vet myself... So does anyone think his large amounts of saliva are normal? None of my Ringnecks do this.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Something sounds off and for his health and your concern for the bird, I would try hard to convince friend to get him checked. :hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please have your friend join AA and talk with the many good people here. This could be many disease processes or nothing at all.
Anyone that neglects a bird's health would not be my friend! :)

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Why is your friend refusing? lack of funds or just doesn't care?
All those examples you give are definitely not normal, and I have two alexandrines. I have never noticed any excessive saliva.

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Why is your friend refusing? lack of funds or just doesn't care?
All those examples you give are definitely not normal, and I have two alexandrines. I have never noticed any excessive saliva.
I can only assume it's a lack of funds. I had a long talk with him last night about how important it is to see what the issue is. I even offered to split the bill. (He's a very good childhood friend of mine) I was able to convince him after a long while. He let me schedule an appt with my avian vet. Hopefully they can find out what's wrong here. I bring my own alexandrine to this vet for annual check ups, and he's in great health.

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Update- my friend and I brought his Alexandrine in today. Our avian vet said his diet needs to be changed (my friend feeds him fruit most days, but his seeds and pellets are a cheap no name brand). I suggested Zupreem and Harrison's since I feed all of my birds this and their feathers are very vibrant. I've heard those two are the best pellet blends after all. About the saliva, we are getting a culture test done so we have not received the results yet. Let's hope it's nothing too serious.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Any updates on the Alex?

I do agree with the vet that diet doesn't sound good if beak is pale and feather coloring is off. That's almost always caused by a poor diet. Has your friend expanded the diet to include vegetables, grains and legumes by any chance?

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Any updates on the Alex?

I do agree with the vet that diet doesn't sound good if beak is pale and feather coloring is off. That's almost always caused by a poor diet. Has your friend expanded the diet to include vegetables, grains and legumes by any chance?
Yes, sorry I haven't updated you guys! He's doing so much better! I've been teaching my friend which veggies, fruits, grains, etc he should feed him and how much daily. His diet is improving very much (his test result came back clear btw). His feathers are already looking much more vibrant, the way I remember them being, and he hasn't been producing visible saliva. It's such a relief to me and my friend! Thanks for all the help everyone!

LemonGrass

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kudos to you for being persistent! You are a great friend to have and because of you the little guy is on the mend :heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's great that your friend was finally willing to listen to you and the alex's diet is on to the right path! :D WTG! :dance4: