• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alexandrine parrot is having fecal parasites

aliraza168

Checking out the neighborhood
Please, can anybody tell me treatment of fecal parasites. How i can cure my parrot? Need urgent replies.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you take him to a vet? I am afraid I don't know about treatment of parasites.

@Birdbabe ?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The vet will have to do fecal exam to determine the parasite, then give the right medicine..you may not need to take the bird just a fresh poo...but do call and ask.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm guessing not in the US? Do you have vet options? If not, do you know the parasite? What type of bird?

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Please, can anybody tell me treatment of fecal parasites. How i can cure my parrot? Need urgent replies.

Questions first...

Has the bird been to the vet to know the bird has parasites?? Was a gram stain done to confirm the bird has parasites?? I just want to be sure you are not seeing something in the bird poo on bottom of the cage and presume it came out of the bird when maybe your bird poo'd on something, or some creepy crawlers came to have bird poo dinner.

Could you share with us where you are as well?

aliraza168

Checking out the neighborhood
They are Eimeria parasites.. im taking him to vet since months. The problem is my parrot gets well for just few days then after that he gets infected again.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Some questions, and please understand trying to help....

Have you cleaned your bird's cage thoroughly... I mean take it out and steam clean it, or spray down with F10 (or bleach if F10 not available), let it dry in the sun and then scrub it thoroughly with a brush getting all the food and gunk out of the nooks and crannies and crevices. Literally clean this cage til it looks brand new, not a speck of food or poo anywhere... Very important.

Throw out the food you have been feeding and get new supplies. If your bird is constantly becoming reinfected, your food may be bad or contaminated.... depending on the food or how stored, if any dried bird poo gets into the container or storage, the food can be the ongoing reintroduction source.

Are you treating with Baycox in the water? Are you doing the usual 2 day treatment? Has your vet considered a secondary infection that is allowing the cycle to repeat.

But more than anything, please do a thorough deep cleaning of everything in the environment. The eggs in the droppings left on playstands, perches, sides of food bowls, etc. can be a problem. I do not want to suggest your husbandry is not excellent, but take additional steps over and beyond whatever you are doing... clean the cage every day. Wash the food and water bowls daily with soap and hot water. Wipe down the cages of the bars even after steam cleaning with a hot rag, be sure to clean up all poop / droppings in the cage, on perches, playstands, anywhere that your bird hangs out.

Good luck and I hope you are able to get the cycle stopped!