• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alexandrine neck ring

KatieON

Checking out the neighborhood
8CFD4B9A-B1B6-4F36-A13A-27F6263A0698.jpeg Hi all, looking for opinions.... I have this alexandrine. Not sure of age, but eyes and colour of beak indicate a young bird. Check out the neck ring though. Could a neck ring this dark be a shadow? Or the start of a real neck ring? What do you think?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm afraid I don't know but he's really cute. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Probably a shadow ring, which young females and males can get.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I don't know anything about Alexandrines. But I do know cute. That is one cute bird.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Hi. How long have you had your bird? What diet is it on as that does make a difference to their feather colour I have found. I blew the pic up and it does look like the start of a ring although I have one who looks like this and is almost 3 yrs. He also has a couple of pink and black feathers now so his ring is finally coming in. I also have a baby with a shadow like yours, but is DNA male. As Monica said it could be a shadow depending on the age. Are those dark feathers on his cheek black or is it just the lighting?

KatieON

He (she?) was predominantly on a seed diet at the pet store, not sure about before that. Since I have had him/her pellets, fresh fruit and vegetables with occasional seeds and nuts as treats only. I also give him/her boiled egg. Feathers have been brightening - has been molting around the head. No black feathers on cheeks only black and dark/grey in the ring. The darker spots in the cheeks are more grey - I think it is the fluffy underfeather showing through. No DNA testing where I live so it’s a guessing game really.

KatieON

The little tufty bits across his beak and eyes are black though.