• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alexandrine Fledging

Trigger

Moving in
Good morning, I have a ~12 week old Alexandrine I raised (experienced), he is fledging, and has been flying for about a week now. Until a few days ago, he was taking formula 1-2 times a day, and eating sprouts, pellets, and fruits/vegetables on his own. Over the weekend, he's refusing his formula to the point of flying away as I'm preparing it, which I know is normal, but I can't seem to get him to eat much else. Before he was eating well on his own, but over the weekend, to now, he's turning away from all food. I have a call into my vet (he's hard to reach), but I don't think there is anything wrong with my bird, he's otherwise is great shape! Yesterday he had a few bites of okra and corn, and maybe a sprout or two, but not what I feel he should have been eating. I know that when they fledge they cut out calories for a few days, but this is extreme (I think). I am able to get him to take a few cc's of formula each day, but he's not happy about it, it's enough to keep his poops 'normal', but even those aren't what they were a few days ago. Should I be worried or will this pass? I keep telling myself as long as he's acting normal and pooping, this too shall pass, but I needed affirmation.

This brings me to my next question (I am afraid to ask), should I clip him? All he wants to do is fly around the house, and I can't keep him one spot long enough for him to even entertain food. I have mixed feelings about clipping, as I'm sure a lot of bird owners do, but in this case, he's so ADD I feel I'd be doing him (and myself) a favor by grounding him. idk- any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have baby experience. I'm sure others here will answer soon. Have you been weighing him to see if he's losing weight. I wouldn't clip his wings. Can you put him in his cage for a little while everyday with food to try to get him to eat?

@karen256 ? @melissasparrots ? @finchly ?

Trigger

Moving in
Yes, but it's typical for them to loose about 10%-20% of their body weight during fledging :)

He is only in his cage at night, and has several manzanita perches that we use during the day. I have always fed him from his table top perch, but I can't keep him on it anymore :wideyed: I did just put him in his cage with some food, so we'll see how that goes.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is it weaning time? I don't know the alexandrine schedule.

Sometimes babies are too excited about life t o settle down and eat. Will he take millet, or perhaps soaked millet? Soaked pellets (warm water)? If his poops are okay I think he will be alright, I don't know any that have starved themselves unless they were ill.

ETA I would be inclined to use the cage for grounding instead of clipping. I have a baby caique, I asked the breeder not to clip and he arrived clipped. He falls constantly b/c he thinks he can fly.

Trigger

Moving in
Yes, that's what fledging is :D (learning to fly, and weaning); he refuses anything I give him, millet included (and sprouts). Incidentally, they can, and will starve themselves if they get to a point of frustration with food.

Caging him, in my opinion, isn't a solution because that would mean less time out of his cage and that is not what I want for him. I want him to have as much out of cage time as possible, but if that is spent hiding on the cabinets, then I may not have a choice :(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Fledging is when they leave the nest. I raise finches, and for them weaning happens a couple weeks later not at the same moment. That's why I had to ask ;)

Is there any food you haven't tried? Cooked sweet potato? scrambled egg?

So, you'd prefer clipping wings over using the cage a few times a day? (not criticizing; just asking) My 1-year-old still doesn't have her wings properly grown in yet from clipping at 2 months old, so I would prefer not to clip BUT your situation is not mine. I have a bird room where they are allowed to fly, plus I have a dog that, if push came to shove, I want them to be able to fly away from.

So please understand I'm not picking at you. You asked for opinions, I gave you my one penny's worth. :D

Trigger

Moving in
Fledging is when they leave the nest. I raise finches, and for them weaning happens a couple weeks later not at the same moment. That's why I had to ask ;)

Is there any food you haven't tried? Cooked sweet potato? scrambled egg?

So, you'd prefer clipping wings over using the cage a few times a day? (not criticizing; just asking) My 1-year-old still doesn't have her wings properly grown in yet from clipping at 2 months old, so I would prefer not to clip BUT your situation is not mine. I have a bird room where they are allowed to fly, plus I have a dog that, if push came to shove, I want them to be able to fly away from.
Contrary, I appreciate the feedback! :joyful: I think most bird owners struggle with the idea of clipping, but especially those of Asiatic species as they are traditionally very flighty. When in doubt, do nothing; is my philosophy, so for now, he is flighted ;) (I prefer not to clip)

I have tried sweet potato (he loves it), but not eggs yet because I don't traditionally buy them, I can absolutely get some, thanks for the suggestion! This is my current situation (he's asleep on my PC)

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
so cute :heart:

I'm hoping someone else will chime in here; I only raise finches.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Awww :cheer: He’s eating!

Very nice cage, btw.