1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alexandrine Fledging

Discussion in 'Breeders Boulevard' started by Trigger, 5/15/18 at 6:07 AM.

1. Trigger

Trigger Moving in

Good morning, I have a ~12 week old Alexandrine I raised (experienced), he is fledging, and has been flying for about a week now. Until a few days ago, he was taking formula 1-2 times a day, and eating sprouts, pellets, and fruits/vegetables on his own. Over the weekend, he's refusing his formula to the point of flying away as I'm preparing it, which I know is normal, but I can't seem to get him to eat much else. Before he was eating well on his own, but over the weekend, to now, he's turning away from all food. I have a call into my vet (he's hard to reach), but I don't think there is anything wrong with my bird, he's otherwise is great shape! Yesterday he had a few bites of okra and corn, and maybe a sprout or two, but not what I feel he should have been eating. I know that when they fledge they cut out calories for a few days, but this is extreme (I think). I am able to get him to take a few cc's of formula each day, but he's not happy about it, it's enough to keep his poops 'normal', but even those aren't what they were a few days ago. Should I be worried or will this pass? I keep telling myself as long as he's acting normal and pooping, this too shall pass, but I needed affirmation.

This brings me to my next question (I am afraid to ask), should I clip him? All he wants to do is fly around the house, and I can't keep him one spot long enough for him to even entertain food. I have mixed feelings about clipping, as I'm sure a lot of bird owners do, but in this case, he's so ADD I feel I'd be doing him (and myself) a favor by grounding him. idk- any insight is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
    I don't have baby experience. I'm sure others here will answer soon. Have you been weighing him to see if he's losing weight. I wouldn't clip his wings. Can you put him in his cage for a little while everyday with food to try to get him to eat?

@karen256 ? @melissasparrots ? @finchly ?

Trigger and Mizzely like this.
  3. Trigger

Trigger Moving in

Yes, but it's typical for them to loose about 10%-20% of their body weight during fledging :)

He is only in his cage at night, and has several manzanita perches that we use during the day. I have always fed him from his table top perch, but I can't keep him on it anymore :wideyed: I did just put him in his cage with some food, so we'll see how that goes.

4. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Is it weaning time? I don't know the alexandrine schedule.

Sometimes babies are too excited about life t o settle down and eat. Will he take millet, or perhaps soaked millet? Soaked pellets (warm water)? If his poops are okay I think he will be alright, I don't know any that have starved themselves unless they were ill.

ETA I would be inclined to use the cage for grounding instead of clipping. I have a baby caique, I asked the breeder not to clip and he arrived clipped. He falls constantly b/c he thinks he can fly.

Trigger and sunnysmom like this.
  5. Trigger

Trigger Moving in

Yes, that's what fledging is :D (learning to fly, and weaning); he refuses anything I give him, millet included (and sprouts). Incidentally, they can, and will starve themselves if they get to a point of frustration with food.

Caging him, in my opinion, isn't a solution because that would mean less time out of his cage and that is not what I want for him. I want him to have as much out of cage time as possible, but if that is spent hiding on the cabinets, then I may not have a choice :(

6. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Fledging is when they leave the nest. I raise finches, and for them weaning happens a couple weeks later not at the same moment. That's why I had to ask ;)

Is there any food you haven't tried? Cooked sweet potato? scrambled egg?

So, you'd prefer clipping wings over using the cage a few times a day? (not criticizing; just asking) My 1-year-old still doesn't have her wings properly grown in yet from clipping at 2 months old, so I would prefer not to clip BUT your situation is not mine. I have a bird room where they are allowed to fly, plus I have a dog that, if push came to shove, I want them to be able to fly away from.

So please understand I'm not picking at you. You asked for opinions, I gave you my one penny's worth. :D

Trigger likes this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Moving in

Contrary, I appreciate the feedback! :joyful: I think most bird owners struggle with the idea of clipping, but especially those of Asiatic species as they are traditionally very flighty. When in doubt, do nothing; is my philosophy, so for now, he is flighted ;) (I prefer not to clip)

I have tried sweet potato (he loves it), but not eggs yet because I don't traditionally buy them, I can absolutely get some, thanks for the suggestion! This is my current situation (he's asleep on my PC)

Attached Files:

finchly likes this.
  8. finchly

Tanya
    so cute :heart:

I'm hoping someone else will chime in here; I only raise finches.

9. Trigger

Trigger Moving in

@finchly thia photo is for you ❤️

Attached Files:

10. finchly

Tanya
    Awww :cheer: He’s eating!

Very nice cage, BTW.

Trigger likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)