• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Alexandrine Baby Your Help Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Aww look at that little fella. I sure hope we can help you figure it out. Is he getting fed enough? You said he's getting fed every six hours, maybe that's not enough?

Ginger

janabasim

Sitting on the front steps
Aww look at that little fella. I sure hope we can help you figure it out. Is he getting fed enough? You said he's getting fed every six hours, maybe that's not enough?

Ginger
I fed him until his crop gets full. How many times in day you think I should feed him?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I don't know. How old is he? Is he begging for food. If he doesn't ever beg something is wrong.

Ginger

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I wouldn't jump on the antibiotic bandwagon just yet. You really do not want to go that route unless absolutely necessary. From what you have described it sounds like his poops are normal.

5 weeks old is very young and I am sure that this has been a very traumatic experience for him.

I would suggest measuring exactly how much you are feeding him so you know for sure how much in a day he is getting. Are you weighing him every day, is his weight going up?

janabasim

Yes he is does beg for food but only when I touch my fingers to his beak, like he try to find food in between my fingers :).

I just bought a weighing machine for him and today is the first time I weighed him (203 grams) once I fed him his weight was 223 grams, so I can guess I am feeding him from 15 to 20 grams of feed every time.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
That's a pretty good weight for a young Alex :) He'll lighten up a little in the coming weeks when he weans and fledges - My first Alex was fully weaned at 9weeks.

I wouldn't give apple cider vinegar, or anything that non-discriminatingly destroys bacteria, as he will still be developing his normal crop/gut flora. That is unless it is a medication targeting a particular strain.

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, What you are describing for the birds poops sound normal. to me. I would not add anything to his formula right now but would get some organic apple cider vinegar to have on hand. Try and find a probiotic at your local health food store, something like lactobacillis sporogenes just in case.

Here are a couple of articles on ACV, they are great for ones learning experiene:

[URL="http://www.avianweb.com/vinegar.html"]http://www.avianweb.com/vinegar.html[/URL]

Candida / Candidiasis: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options as well as Prevention

Reading these articles you will see many breeders add ACV to the hand feeding formula. I don't feel you need to at this point unless the birds poop smells, looks bad or there is a possibility of yeast.

You are doing a good job but as a double check, keep all your feeding instruments germ free, feed at the proper temperature (105 deg F), and feed the bird to being full but not overly stuffed. I would also recommend not using a microwave to heat formula, you are better off heating the water in the microwave and then mixing formula. Mix it a little hot and allow it to cool, this is where thermometer will help you.

gary

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww, he sure is cute. I agree with Ginger, maybe every six hours is not enough to feed, Everyone has good advice, the temperature of the formula is the best advice, plus keeping the baby warm. I use a heating pad, set on low in half of the enclosure so they can move to and away from the heat as they want. maybe a little stuffed animal or soft towel that he cuddle next to so he feels more secure. I hope this little one only the best and you too. Good luck with him, and keep us posted.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Awww, he sure is cute. I agree with Ginger, maybe every six hours is not enough to feed, Everyone has good advice, the temperature of the formula is the best advice, plus keeping the baby warm. I use a heating pad, set on low in half of the enclosure so they can move to and away from the heat as they want. maybe a little stuffed animal or soft towel that he cuddle next to so he feels more secure. I hope this little one only the best and you too. Good luck with him, and keep us posted.
This is excellent advice. Heat is the best thing for young birds, especially unfeathered like this little guy. Keep the heating pad on medium but only, as posted above, under half of his environment so that he can get away from it should he become too warm.

Babies at 5 weeks old are not overly active. They are very young and need a lot of sleep. 203 grams seems very high for a small bird like that. Is your scale accurate? Also, feel on either side of his keel. Does he feel meaty?

You need to get a digital thermometer. Feeding too cold can result in a crop infection; too hot can result in crop burn. Always reinsert the thermometer into the handfeeding syringe and pull it half way up for an accurate temperature.

Is there a reason the pet store will not wean him for you?

Also, if you are not feeding him anything other than formula (which, at this age, I doubt you would be), his dropping should be a light brown. The green usually comes into the droppings once other foods are introduced.

I also would make sure he is totally empty before feeding more. When you feed him, is his crop empty, or is there still food in it?

janabasim

Joplin D. Boid's Weight Chart - I'm gonna be a GENTLE GIANT, too! (Alexandrine Parakeet)

Today I weight him again he is 209 grams, which is not average according to the above link for 5 weeks old one. Any way it is increasing day by day which is a good thing.

I manage to find organic apple cider vinegar, I add two drops to his hand feed formula twice a day. I was very convinced by WingedVictory links about ACL.

Still the worry I have is about his dropping whch are green colored with a lot of urine part sometimes.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
That link is to a pretty large Alex - they vary quite a lot; my boy used to average 220grams for 15years. I've seen a young male, 3months old, weigh over 300grams!! He was a very large example. :) I've also seen them weigh barely more than 200grams, as adults.

It would help you to know what his parents are like.

janabasim

Thankyou very much for your help guys. You all have been a very good guide for me in this hard time that I am having. Can u please help me little bit more. From last two days my baby Alex is not eating well, he just eats a little bit than he turns his head away. Do u have any idea why he is doing like this?

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Are you measuring how much you feed him? When you say "a little bit" how much is that? As far as the watery droppings what consistency is the formula you are feeding him?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Again, can't stress enough that the temperature is critical in feeding. Try it a little warmer or a little cooler and see what happens. How old is he? Maybe he needs a little bit of big bird food? Do you have any millet?

Ginger

janabasim

He is about 6 1/2 weeks old.

I am only feeding him formula 2 part water 1 part formula .

He takes about 10 to 14 grams of feed about 5 times a day. I don't have any millet.

I tried to change the temperature colder and warmer but it did't made any diference.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
2 parts water to 1 part formula sounds like it's not enough nutrition. The formula should be the consistancy of thin yogurt. I am so worried for him. Sometimes babys just fail to thrive. I would try different soft foods mushed up. Sweet potato, regular potato, rice, he could be allergic to the formula.

Ginger

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Actually Ginger, 2:1 is the instructions on the formula I am feeding at the moment so that does sound correctly mixed. Mine usually ends up like thick gravy.

How is your baby doing today?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Thanks for the clarification. It just sounded too thin to me, too watery. Speaking of water, what is your source?

Ginger

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Only a vet can know if he has an infection.

At 5 weeks of age, he should still have a good appetite. He shouldn't even begin to cut himself back on formula until 8-10weeks of age. Bu then you did just get the baby, and sometimes, do to stress, it can take a couple days for the baby to settle down into the new home.

How many times a day are you feeding him?

I always fed 1 part food and 1.5-2parts water. I aim for apple sauce/thick gravy like consistency.

Also how hot are you making the formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.