• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air freshners

Douglasdanes3

Moving in
Real Name
Susan Douglas
I was just wondering what everyone uses for a little air freshener with your birds. I am not sure what is safe and what is not and also what does everyone use to dust your furniture with and wash your windows with. Will appreciate any advise anyone can give me

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Fresh cut flowers when I feel spendy, otherwise, nothing. Cut lemons and oranges can also be nice.

For cleaning, I only use a 50-50 vinegar and water spray.

Good luck.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Fresh cut flowers when I feel spendy, otherwise, nothing. Cut lemons and oranges can also be nice. For cleaning, I only use a 50-50 vinegar and water spray.
I'm with @MnGuy. I use vinegar/water for cleaning anything that gets near the birds. Detergents are toxic too, such as dish soaps, hand lotions, etc. I have used baking soda on my carpet and vacuumed. My birds don't smell. Not sure why you would need air freshener. I agree with he lemons, oranges, (we have both and a lime tree in back yard) and open a window for some fresh air.

Except right now we can't open a window due to the Northern California wildfires. We currently have an air purifier going full storm through the birds' room and anywhere near them, with a humidifier and the heat going at 80. We made sure our HVAC and furnace just got a good cleaning to get ready for winter.

Douglasdanes3

Moving in
Real Name
Susan Douglas
Thank you for your answers. I have o ly been using water and vinegar on everything also but sometimes I just like to smell a little fragrance in the air. I will try the lemons and oranges thank you. Just with the holidays coming I like to have the house smell christmasy if you will and just things like that thank you for your answers

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There really aren't any fragrances, candles (other than unscented beeswax candles), air fresheners That are safe for birds. African Greys are particularly susceptible to respiratory issues. That's just some of the things we give up for the welfare of our birds. This article will help you understand why a bird's respiratory system is so very sensitive. How the Respiratory System of Birds Works

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...c-pet-birds/&usg=AOvVaw2v91_2OnFn2kFqSfAHD6J7

Most deadly hazards for pet birds

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Simmer some cinnamon and cloves!

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I stick cloves into oranges and place those in a bowl. They look cute and smell great.

Douglasdanes3

Moving in
Real Name
Susan Douglas
Thank you all for your reply as. I am so grateful for this forum and for all of you and your knowledge.