• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air fresheners that smell good?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
What can I put in my air freshener to make the room smell good? I usually use vinegar and water, and that makes the house smell clean, but I want it to smell good! I thought about using lemon juice or orange peels but I would think that would make the surfaces sticky?

Also, what is a good dog shampoo that makes your dogs not smell like dog all the time? I usually use oatmeal but i feel like that's not strong enough for me:lol:

help?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can boil oranges and cinnamon sticks. :)

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
I think making your own wax melts could work. Then you could just use a scent warmer.
Coconut oil vs certain waxes might be better but I'm not entirely sure how any of this would work outside of theory, yet.
The issue is really just having to make your own scents though, since not even all essential oils are safe for animals. I've heard the ones with tea tree oil are very bad for even dogs in your home, for instance.

I am probably going to look into how to make some and which materials would be safe.
It might do to just use the scent warmer in place of boiling water. The spices and water on a scent warmer would still work without having to boil, perhaps?
If anyone else has any information regarding this or if it would totally not work, please do let me know.

I'm off to research!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I did this weekend but it doesn’t reach every room in the house
Plug in a crock pot (with the same concoction) where the scent doesn´t reach?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
When I was little, a family friend taught me how to clove oranges. You poke rows of holes through the skin of an orange with a push pin or toothpick, then push the stem of a whole clove through the hole. Make sure to leave space between the cloves because the orange will shrink as it dries. Or you can make patterns, but we always covered the whole orange. They last for years & you can put them in drawers or decorative bowls, etc. You can even tie ribbons around them to make ornaments. You could also use other citrus, but I'm not sure how lemon or grapefruit would smell with cloves.

The smell is more potent the newer they are, but they're not overpowering.

Before:

After:

Evidently while searching for other cloved citruses, I see that cloved lemons or limes are supposed to repel flies and mosquitoes.... :chin: Interesting.

Last edited:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Add more cinnamon to your water. I have a 2 cup pot and fill it with water then add regular cinnamon to it and turn the heat down as low as possible. You don't need much heat to start smelling the fresh sent of cinnamon throughout the house. Keep the heat low so your water doesn't boil away and burn the pot. Should last about 6 hours. Try it on a weekend if you work or go to school for a while.
I never did try a crock pot but that should work for an all-day aroma. You can buy really small ones too.