• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AHHHHRG! THIS DOG!

junglechicken

Walking the driveway
While obviously i'm not going to let my dog go without the treatment he needs, taking him to the vet is such a pain in the a** because he is so aggressive to dogs and other people except my husband and me. Even just sitting in the waiting room is difficult. even though he is muzzled (for everyone's safety) he growls at every dog or human that comes within 10 feet, so i spend the whole time apologizing and telling him "stop being a jerk".

I'm sure the vet just loves examining and treating him. while he obviously can't bite when muzzled he sure gives it a good try, growling and flinging his head around, won't hold still, it's a huge fight for everyone. I'm always worn out by the time this ordeal is done, and i'm sure everyone that has to deal with his treatment is, as well.

he has an ear infection, so we had to go to the vet this morning. Since it's such a horror show to get him looked at i had them do his yearly exam and vaccinations while we were there.

We must have by some stretch of good luck ended up with the sweetest, calmest, most patient vet tech on the planet. how he managed to clean and treat Domino's ear is beyond me, but he got it done. The vet just gave his shots and diagnosed the ear infection, which is fine. she seemed rather nervous with a 100 pound aggressive dog (not that i blame her), even though he was muzzled, the tech wasn't bothered in the least.

anyway, that is my rant for the day. his ear is treated, and he is up to date on his vaccinations. hopefully won't have to take him back for another year.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Hope Domino won't have to go back for a long time and hope his ear heals up nicely.

Does your vet have a back or side door, by any chance? I've seen a few vets buildings that let sick (contagious) or dangerous dogs come and go through the back and straight to a room. Maybe next time before you go you can call and ask?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Hope Domino won't have to go back for a long time and hope his ear heals up nicely.

Does your vet have a back or side door, by any chance? I've seen a few vets buildings that let sick (contagious) or dangerous dogs come and go through the back and straight to a room. Maybe next time before you go you can call and ask?
I would ask about that as well. Some dogs just can't handle being around other dogs (my Border Collie, Aarka, very much dislikes other dogs too!) and are called "DINOS", or Dogs In Need Of Space.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would also ask about the availability of using another entrance or being able to go straight to a room where there are no other animals or people. My dog gets so stressed going to the vet that they(my old vert clinic) used to let me use the side entrance and put him straight into a treatment room so he did not get extra stressed in the waiting area with all the other animals carrying on. This made things so much easier for him to deal with and made the vet visit not half as painful for all involved. Sometimes they will also do home visits if the animal is too much of a problem to bring into the clinic, maybe you could ask about that option also?

junglechicken

Walking the driveway
Thanks for the great suggestions! We did this at their old clinic but it burned down last summer. The new one is sort of thrown together until they can either rebuild or find a new permanent location.

I was stressing so much and had to bring him as a walk in instead of having an appointment and i just didnt think about it.

That is the great thing about this site. We can remind each other of important thing we may have overlooked!