• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ahh! What Do I Do?

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
I am very confused right now. I have had both leopard geckos and betta fish in the past and I don't know which one I would rather have now! Which ever one I end up getting, he/she would live in a 20 gallon long tank. If I got the betta fish it would have about 20 to 25 pounds of gravel, about 4 silk plants, a few decorative ornaments that he could swim through, a heater, and an AquaClear Fluval filter. If I were to get the leopard gecko, he/she would have about three hides total; one on the cool side, one on the hot side, and one moist hide, he/she would have live crickets and/or mealworms daily, dusted in calcium about 3-5 times a week and have an under-the-tank heater.

So my question is, which one do you think I should get? What are your personal experiences with leopard geckos and/or bettas? Which one would you rather have and why?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have had both, and both are wonderful. :D I'm no help. I loved my gecko. His name was Mr. Smiley. I taught him to "go" in a vase turned on it's side, So his tank always looked clean. I had a 55 gallon for him.
However,make sure you do all your research on keeping either one.
The gecko will cost more. The crix should be gutloaded before they are fed to the gecko, with a good food like Repashy. You also need to alternate the CA with another mutivitamin dust, and have a cap full of pure CA available in the viv at all times.
A lot of geckos are sadly given to children who don't know how to care for them. And they die from MBD.
I keep bettas now. And love them. You could divide the tank and keep two bettas. ;)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Also know that the gecko is more dangerous as far as your bird goes. Never touch your birds or their things directly after handling the gecko. Wash your hands well. Common sense, but something some might not be aware of. :hug8:

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
Also know that the gecko is more dangerous as far as your bird goes. Never touch your birds or their things directly after handling the gecko. Wash your hands well. Common sense, but something some might not be aware of. :hug8:
Now that I thought about it, I'm thinking that I may go with one male betta fish. I don't want to harm Einstein in any way and I definitely want to put his best interests first. With the betta fish, I thought about maybe getting two of them but I truly want the best for whatever I get. I would rather have one betta living in a 20 gallon long tank with it heavily planted with lots of places to hide rather than having two in ten gallons each. Also, if I did get two, I wouldn't know what I would use to separate the tank that is not see-through. I already plan on putting some printer paper on the outside of the aquarium sides so he doesn't flare up at his own reflection because I've heard that can be really dangerous and stressful to the fish. Also, would you think that the AquaClear Fluval Power Filter 30 would be good for my tank if it is set on the lowest setting? I have heard great reviews on this filter and I really want to try it out and even though it is more spendy, I want to give my fish the best. Thank you so much for your reply! :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have two male bettas side by side in different tanks and they love the company. Don't believe everything you read. ;) They do not constantly flare or stress each other out. On the contrary, I think just like with birds, they enjoy the company and it's good stimulation that keeps them active and happy. I have usually always kept two to three bettas throughout my life who could see each other. To me there isn't much a sadder situation than one lonely fish with nothing at all to do but sit around.
Aqua clear's are a good filter. Do you know how to care for a planted tank? A sorority of females would be nice too. Some available these days on AB are stunning, and sometimes hard to tell apart from the males.

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
I have two male bettas side by side in different tanks and they love the company. Don't believe everything you read. ;) They do not constantly flare or stress each other out. On the contrary, I think just like with birds, they enjoy the company and it's good stimulation that keeps them active and happy. I have usually always kept two to three bettas throughout my life who could see each other. To me there isn't much a sadder situation than one lonely fish with nothing at all to do but sit around.
Aqua clear's are a good filter. Do you know how to care for a planted tank? A sorority of females would be nice too. Some available these days on AB are stunning, and sometimes hard to tell apart from the males.
Like I said before, I am not going to have a planted tank. :) When I said heavily planted I meant with silk plants and ornaments. Also, what about ghost shrimp, frogs, and mystery snails?

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
My male betta finished off my cherry shrimp...:( I only had a few babies in the tank and was just hopeful they would be ignored. Nope!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, all depends on the betta. Some do not mind, some do. I have one oddball shrimp in with one betta, and a couple nerites in with each. I do not like the frog/betta idea. I know people do it, I just do not approve. Why compromise the water quality for the betta with a messy frog. Or introduce a pathogen. I think these two species should be housed separately.

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
Yes, all depends on the betta. Some do not mind, some do. I have one oddball shrimp in with one betta, and a couple nerites in with each. I do not like the frog/betta idea. I know people do it, I just do not approve. Why compromise the water quality for the betta with a messy frog. Or introduce a pathogen. I think these two species should be housed separately.
Oh I completely understand where you're coming from. That is why I am asking questions.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Most plecos get absolutely huge. What type are you interested in? How big of a tank are you thinking? Some bettas really get uncomfortable in large tanks and may around a pleco, a fish he most likely has not encountered.

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
Most plecos get absolutely huge. What type are you interested in? How big of a tank are you thinking? Some bettas really get uncomfortable in large tanks and may around a pleco, a fish he most likely has not encountered.
I am planning on purchasing a longfin albino bristlenose pleco if the betta would be okay with it. Those plecos only get to six inches as their maximum size.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Plecos should not be kept singly to be honest. They do better with others of their own kind. They are also known to suck the slime coat off your fish, so be careful. I had two, one did this to my goldfish... :( Tank changes due to injuries[pics] | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum I will save you the horrific photos.

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
Plecos should not be kept singly to be honest. They do better with others of their own kind. They are also known to suck the slime coat off your fish, so be careful. I had two, one did this to my goldfish... :( Tank changes due to injuries[pics] | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum I will save you the horrific photos.
Okay, thank you for the information. I will stay away from plecos then! :geek: I have also heard mixed statements about a school of 6 or more neon tetras. Would those work? And what are some fish, whether it be bottom feeders or whatever, that could be housed with bettas that are in a 20 gallon long tank. (Without overcrowding of course.)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Tetras are known to pick on the betta's fins. Sorry... You could do some tiny rasboras, like chilis. There are some others. But some are so shy once they see the betta, you will never see them. They will stay hidden. But some bettas do not tolerate anything and will kill any other fish. Just be forewarned. You could try some small corydoras. But again, you should have at least 6, and if the betta is not happy with them you will have to decide if you can return them or set up another tank.
Male bettas truly are best left on their own in my opinion. If you want a mixture of fish,it might be best to skip the betta and get some community fish.
Is the 20 long a tank you already have, or were planning to get? A 5 or 10 gallon would be great, and a lot easier for you to care for. You said you have kept bettas in the past. So you understand how to cycle and maintain the tank? You have test kits, and dechlorinator{I recommend Seachem Prime}

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
Tetras are known to pick on the betta's fins. Sorry... You could do some tiny rasboras, like chilis. There are some others. But some are so shy once they see the betta, you will never see them. They will stay hidden. But some bettas do not tolerate anything and will kill any other fish. Just be forewarned. You could try some small corydoras. But again, you should have at least 6, and if the betta is not happy with them you will have to decide if you can return them or set up another tank.
Male bettas truly are best left on their own in my opinion. If you want a mixture of fish,it might be best to skip the betta and get some community fish.
Is the 20 long a tank you already have, or were planning to get? A 5 or 10 gallon would be great, and a lot easier for you to care for. You said you have kept bettas in the past. So you understand how to cycle and maintain the tank? You have test kits, and dechlorinator{I recommend Seachem Prime}
I already have a 20 gallon long tank that I am cycling fish less as we speak. It has been going about two or three days now and I have purchased test strips for me to test the water to see if everything is okay. I think I am just going to go with tropical community fish for my tank. Do you have any recommendations on fish that go well together and would be somewhat different from each other and pleasing to the eye? I know I already want a school of neon tetras, as they are my dad's favorite, and some sort of small pleco. I have been thinking about gouramis maybe? Any other recommendations would be great.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Please, do yourself and your upcoming fish a favor. Take back or ditch the test strips. They are known to be inaccurate. Purchase either an API freshwater master kit{about $20.} or purchase the API test kits individually. I like getting them individually. The kits are bigger, and since you won't be keeping live plants, there are kits in the master you won't need. You will need an ammonia, a nitrite, a nitrate, and a PH kit. The API liquid test kits are good kits with a more precise reading.
Threadfin or Gertudae rainbows are awesome little fish. As are some of the beautiful rasboras. These will also school. Gouramis can be a little ornery, and some like the chocolates are touchy. Make sure you research the adult size of the fish you plan to keep. Fish like clown loaches, sold at usually 2" are inappropriate for a 20 gal tank. They grow to 12+ inches, should be kept in a shoal, and need super filtration. As do most plecos. unless you have a mom and pop store, or consider buying online, most big box stores do not sell the more rare, and hence smaller plecos. Research the different types at Planet Catfish. Clown killifish are beautiful little fish. Remember males of some species are often more beautiful. Make sure the fish you buy do not require live food only. This can make keeping them a big chore, and far more difficult, as you have to culture live food.
Here is a site to look at some of the smaller pretty fish
Frank's Aquarium-Freshwater Crustaceans, Hillstream Fishes, Gobies, and more
There are some other places as well. I will think about some other options. Are you using pure ammonia to cycle your tank?