• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ah, molting season.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I swear there’s no stress quite like have a cockatoo that barbers during molting season.

The bird room looks like a pillow exploded. And then there’s me, checking every feather to make sure it’s dropped and not a plucked one.

Someone commiserate with me and my anxiety please :arghh: :banghead:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Is this her first big molt with you honestly I feel you pip moulted so much more than remi then he first came I crapped myself took him to vets made my hubby look at him 50times a day thought he was plucking

it’s getting warmer maybe that’s fetched on a moult

Synth

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hope
Meanwhile I’m over here begging my conure to molt. Drop the clipped flight feathers pleaseeeeeeeee

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe @Sarahmoluccan could offer some insight.

Do you follow @Danita on social media? She makes lots of short videos, not sure if she's ever made one about this but maybe, worth having a look through :tup:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Echo is currently molting now. There is a ton of little feathers and few big ones. He looks pretty much the same thou. Unless you're seeing bald patch pop up I wouldn't stress about. I know easier said than done. :bighug:

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm the same in regards to feather mutilation - I stare at Cotton approximately 10000 times per day to see if he's letting any feathers at all stick around, even though he's very obviously still naked lol

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
It can be so disheartening to see Rhubarb barbering away the pretty new feather that replaced the one she had barbered ragged. :(

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree! Cotton usually leaves his gorgeous iridescent blue tail feathers to grow super long but within a couple months starts chewing those too :/ It's especially hard seeing him destroy flight feathers after letting them all grow in for a while.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I agree! Cotton usually leaves his gorgeous iridescent blue tail feathers to grow super long but within a couple months starts chewing those too :/ It's especially hard seeing him destroy flight feathers after letting them all grow in for a while.
Aww cotton please leave your beautiful feathers alone
I do think he’s super gorgeous way he is though his face cracks me up like a grumpy old man but then the grumpy old men at work are my favourites probably because I live with a grumpy man :rofl:

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Aw, do you know why Isadora barbers?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Aw, do you know why Isadora barbers?
I wish I knew. She’s apparently been doing it for years, her previous owners said their (holistic, not avian certified :cautious: ) vet told them she “sucks on her feathers for comfort, like a baby sucking its thumb.” Which is definitely a bit of a weird take… my and my (certified) vets theory is that she didn’t have enough enrichment and had some stress since she shared a cage with a lorikeet, as she’s definitely barbering less since she’s been with me. We think that now I’m just battling years of habit.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I don't have cockatoo but Bebe is feather king of the moult right now, Holy buckets feathers everywhere. Vacuum pick up vacuum again. And cranky crabby too boot.