• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive?

Mango's Beak

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
When we first brought Mango home we weren't having any issues. Steadily he has become aggressive with my husband. We have him out of his cage for a few hours a day. My husband will sit down out side and he will fly from his perch to my husband and bite him. He took a chunk of skin from his finger yesterday. How do we break this behavior? I have had my husband be the one to give him treats. But literally, he is sitting there and the bird will bite him. It is annoying. He bites me once in a while, but I "eh" a little loud and he stops and looks at me. That doesn't work with DH, he digs in deeper. We were so excited when we brought him home and now my DH doesn't even want to sit around with him. HELP!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's has a lot of good information.

I have a sun conure that's doing a lot of the same things. His mate died suddenly, and since I'm the one who takes care of the birds, it was pretty easy for him to redirect his affection to me. It's a constant thing to try to keep his behavior in check. I only scratch his head, never his whole body. He is very jealous of anyone other than me, so I can only have him out of the cage when I'm home alone. We purchased them as breeders, but it's obvious he was either hand raised or a pet before the previous owner decided to breed them. I try to keep my physical interaction to a minimum, and I hope that the behavior will pass. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out what's best for him long term.

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
So this is my experience. But my only bird experience since Bird was thrust into my life.

Bird is the love of my husband's life. They cuddle and snuggle and scritch and preen. However, Bird bites him hard and often.

Bird does not bite me. Unless I am prying Bird off of my husband, I never get bit. Bird also sneak attacks, or just attacks everyone who comes over. With a few exceptions.Bird doesn't bite kids and he doesn't bite a couple of my female friends. The only ones he doesn't bite are like me in that they don't react to his bite.

They don't get scared when "Bad Bird Attacks". Which makes Bird look pretty silly. So he doesn't do it again (as often ). As for kids; he just likes them.

Big men however... the bigger they are, the more Bird wants them to fall.

Also, if he gets a really big reaction from someone, he will attack them forever. (my husband and bff for example).

I know all birds are different. I am just telling my experience because I live with a very dominant, very little gcc. Maybe try another approach? Everyone says how different birds are yet have a standard way to treat them.

Last edited:

Pets of Mav

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

I am sad to hear about your experience. Conures have the reputation of napping, but this is clearly a bit more advanced aggression. Amigo, my pearly conure never bites me anymore, however he does try at times when there are other people present. He is not aggressive, however he is a tad territorial around his cage. One of the problems with hand-raised birds are just the fact that they are not afraid of humans to begin with, and often has somewhat of a 'blind' trust. The sneak attack it very hard to predict and avoid, however I would strongly recommend you to look up Barbara Heidenreich, she runs Good Bird Inc.

Barbara has got a saying, and it goes something like this; If you learn to read your bird, you should never get bitten. If you get bitten, it's your fault. Now that is of course not something you would expect an untrained eye to be able to do, but she has got a lot of videos (DVD's with teasers on youtube) on parrot behaviour. I have all her DVD's and I do recommend her. She is all about positive reinforcement.

My best advice would be to try and control the situation, more so to not "turn your back" on the bird when he is outside of his cage, and remove his element of surprise.
Now taking into account that you said he is more aggressive towards men, this tells me that he might just be a boy, and he may have claimed you as his "partner". Would it be right to assume he is in the one to four year old range? This may just be the hormonal phase of sexual maturity. It can also be in relation to territory, however that is usually more based around the cage area in my experience.

Small birds are harder to avoid when it comes to bites, as they can leap forward in flight. But avoidance is the best medicine to treat aggressive behaviour, and hopefully the bird will start to realise that biting is not an effective behaviour to use.

I would be happy to share some more of my experience with conures if you want, some more details around the attack and the leading up to the attack might help paint a better picture!

Best of luck, I hope you overcome this phase and end up with a bird that you can trust around people. Some birds just simply does not trust people they don't know and may display aggressive behaviour by default, but I believe you can still overcome this. You might not get a bird that trust all people, but if you can prevent the attack, then that's at least something.

Mango's Beak

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks for your responses...it seems over the last couple of weeks he hasn't been as nippy...My husband is more cautious when he is out...and a leather glove have has been purchased for mode of transportation when he has to carry him...I am hoping that he will be back to the sweet bird that we brought home soon...his molting has slowed down and I am believing that had something to do with the attitude!!