• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggression towards wife and regurgitating next to me

Ariel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariel
So my 5 year old African Gray that I got 4 weeks ago had been adjusting fine, fully fathered and we don’t know sex.

I got him from a person that had him for a few month from a store, I would say that it seems that for a long time he has not been handled out of his cage, its looks like that he is bonding with me, as of now he lets me touch him all over, mainly head and neck rubbing & scratching he will not step up yes to me yet, but it looks like it will happen soon, I’m taking my time with him, no rush.

When I spend time with him after work, for most of the time he is regurgitating next to me I know it’s a overall good sign, but should I try to make him stop, and if yes then how to do it?

Now to the main problem so far is that it looks like he is only into me, but to my wife that she is home all day and she dose spend time with him, and gives him treats that he does take from her, but at the same time he does not like her and will not let her touch him at all, I only spend 2 hours a night with him and he loves me being with him, and to mention that he is not into my 5 kids, I just don’t think he like a lot of people around him, so what will be you advise for my situation, I will like him to be a friendly parrot to all, and is 5 too old to change is habits and personality towards other people?

Thanks for all the help

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some birds are just only into one person. They can be taught to tolerate others, but you can't change how they feel (though they may do that on their own regardless). The fact that he is regurgitating for you and aggressive towards your wife tells me he has chosen you as his potential mate, and she is the rival.

I'm the primary caretaker for my birds and when I brought home my baby Quaker he loved me. Then he decided to love my husband who practically ignored him! It was like 8 months before I was able to handle him again. I found the harder I tried, the less he liked me. So, i just have him treats and still did all his care, but otherwise didn't try to handle him etc, and that was the turning point. You can work on things like target training to make it easier for her to control him without needing to touch him.

Ariel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariel
So I got the results from Avian Biotech for my CAG and for my Sun Conure, well it is totally the opposite from what I was so sure about, my CAG is a male and my sun is female, the sun loves my wife and the CAG seems to like men, he will go only to me and to my father in law, my CAG will go after my wife to bite her.