• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggression Advice

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Interesting. I just assumed "mating season" was fixed (at least within a given species).
In the wild it is. Being captive in a cage in a house in a country it doesn't come from screws "everything" up .

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Consider a parrot behaviour consultant by phone, Skype or in person. I dealt with a few and can give feedback in a private message. As well consider Phoenix Landing''s STEP UP or free classes. Much less expensive than other alternatives so travel costs are really worth it if your are not local. You do not need to adopt from them to attend a class. I did the Step Up class and several free classes and they really helped my knowledge base and skill level. They are chuck full of info and I feel this is a high quality way to learn to adjust to your bird. Not only are they a rescue but they are passionate about helping birds keep their homes.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Great post, that lays it out in a easy to understand way. Dobby is very food motivated provided it's a high value treat to him but I don't really use it in training like that but it comes in handy when I need him to come to me or am just trying to work at getting him to decide I'm as worthy as my sister is. Would have been a good idea with Lurch but we mostly worked it out with time.
Thanks, Terry :)

Reality Storm

Moving in
Real Name
Joe
So, I wanted to come back here and report my experiences. As I mentioned before, I'd spoken to someone who reported having the exact same experience that I was having with Loki. I decided to just let the hormones play out a bit longer to see if they would subside, but after hitting the full 6 month mark, I took the advice and spoke to my vet about a Lupron shot for Loki to just cut off the hormone cycle. My vet agreed to do it, saying that she'd never seen it actually work, but that there was no potential harm to Loki. Less than 2 weeks later, he was back to his old self and has been for a month now.

So this aggression seems to have been totally a hormonal issue. I can't say for certain if there were things I was doing that exacerbated it at all, but the underlying issue was primarily hormones.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Glad Lupron worked for Loki.Hormonal male pionus are really tough to deal with so glad you found a solution

Last edited:

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'm happy you've both found peace and thank you for sharing! it's even more important to share the bad times than the good in my opinion. :)