• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Age Unknown, but Acting Out

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Hello! Since I found my quaker, Wally, last August on the street, she has been happy and a sweetie until recently. This spring, she became hormonal and would try to mate with my hand -- almost on a daily basis! until finally I came home one afternoon and found an egg in her cage. She chilled out afterwards, but has started to again try to mate with my hand and has been pretty disobedient when I take her out, like flying in circles in the house, climbing/flying onto everyone's shoulders when she has been told no or prevented numerous times, biting, refusing to take baths, etc.

Is this the hormonal teenage years I keep hearing about?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Pretty much lol. Although Quakers in general can be a bit of a handful. They are stubborn and like to see what they can get away with! They remind me of the line from Jurassic Park about the raptors: "They were testing the fences for weaknesses, systematically. They remember."

We are the fence LOL

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Pretty much lol. Although Quakers in general can be a bit of a handful. They are stubborn and like to see what they can get away with! They remind me of the line from Jurassic Park about the raptors: "They were testing the fences for weaknesses, systematically. They remember."

We are the fence LOL
Oh no, haha! I was wondering if I should clip her wings as to ground her, in a way. What do you think? I never take her outside without a carrier or cage, but now Im scared she will hurt herself or fly out the sliding door when we're coming in and out this summer, just because shes been so defiant.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no, haha! I was wondering if I should clip her wings as to ground her, in a way. What do you think? I never take her outside without a carrier or cage, but now Im scared she will hurt herself or fly out the sliding door when we're coming in and out this summer, just because shes been so defiant.

I personally leave my Quakers flighted. They are designed to fly for miles a day, forage for all their food, and find a mate to breed with. We already take so much away from them when they are in our home, that it seems rather cruel to take away the one thing we can give them: flight. Lots of birds who are clipped are at risk for fatty liver disease or heart disease, and Quakers are already predisposed to fatty liver disease, so it seems risky to give them two risk factors for it.

Make the environment work for the bird, don't make the bird change to suit the environment.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with @Mizzely! (The Jurassic Park line is gold! So true.)

Pamela lovett

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Pam
I had my Quaker parrot , Oscar, when he was 11 weeks old ( he will be 5yrs in august) and I put a small teddy bear at the end of his perch so he could cuddle up to it at night time,and he loves it,he will also cuddle up to it when he has a nap during the day, he loved the teddy that much he then tried to mate with it several times during the day.oscar was doing it with teddy that many times that I became worried and took teddy out of his cage but oscar became aggressive so I put it back, it took a few weeks for oscar to calm down and now only mates with teddy once in a while but the teddy bear did the trick