• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Again with the Grey Rehome.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Even if he is standoffish that is ok. Greys in general are known for being reserved when they first meet new people. Of course there are big exceptions to the rule.. i.e Emma.
I think that going to to see the bird in person to observe how she feels and how the birds seems would be very good idea. YOu can learn and sense ALOT in person and face to face. :)
I agree, that is exactly why I brought it up. I don't want Kim to think he wont be a good fit if he is a bit reserved and standoffish. Even as a younger Grey, he might not be an out going Grey like Emma. His life has not been as secure and stress free as Emmas :)

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
A 3 year old bird that is THAT plucked concerns me.
Maybe that house was a little much for him, maybe he didn't like the dogs jumping on his cage. I don't know, but that is a heck of a lot of plucking/stress for a 3 year old grey.
Not sure if this was said yet, but ask for a copy of the vet bill/report. We all know how much a *full* work up would cost, friend vet or not, it is the lab work that is the pricey thing. I am sure you know that though :)
This was my concern as well. There could be diet related issues contributing to the plucking as well as other factors in the home (rough handling, other pets etc).
Also, Karen's post was right on the money!
This grey may be reacting to improper handling.

Jen of TNT Bird Toys made a very important point.
Like it or not, at some point, money certainly does factor into things.

I hope Kim is able to negotiate that extremely high re-homing fee - if she decides to go forward with this.
Kim....with love and understanding, all things are possible. Having taken in 2 much older CAG's - one that was an aggressive biter - both CAG's were fabulous with us!

Good luck:)

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hi, I am new here, I am a breeder in Quebec. Greys are very sensitive and the only way to really know is to go and visit this bird. All my babies have selected their owner. I would know right away when a baby liked someone. I had one that was a bit nippy and when people would visit he would lunge at them. Then someone came and visited with the first bird and she was being aggressive with the visitor, then she asked to see the one I told her was nippy. Well, when I brought him into the room he stepped up right away to her, climbed up on to her shoulder and started preening her hair and giving her kisses. Well it love at first sight.

All this to say that you will know when you visit, yes the bird will probably be standoffish unless it has been well socialized with people and goes to everyone. But you will get a good sense and so will the bird if you think your home will be a good fit.

Price is way too high for a rehome bird. Around here they go for about $1000-1500 unless there are extreme issues.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
~UPDATE~

All of your comments are right along the train of thought I was having. I am conerned this "friend vet" doesnt exist, or hasnt actually put much effort into eliminating health reasons for plucking. He is soooo young and soooo plcuked! The large rehoming fee seems unreasonable considering the amount of vet work I will have to invest in once Baby came here. (Just like Platinum said)
I also agree that his plucking and other behavioral issues could be because of her poor handling of him. I to cringed when she said she toweled him till he calmed down and took pets from under a towel!! One reason I felt sure he would thrive here. I really feel Baby would do great here with some TLC and experienced knowledgable handling......and I get a nice fat 75% dicsount at work, even on lab work.

But, after many emails back and forth, and my bringing these concerns to her attention Linda became aggravated with me. I encouraged a visit.....She said she had paid $4k for previous Greys and that I clearly dont know much about birds if I dont think 2k is worth it for a rehome.
After a few emails back and forth discussing price, she emailed me to say bluntly that she will be keeping Baby, and that he will learn to cope with her home situation just fine.
Her add is still up on Kijiji.

I have once again lost in the negotiation of a Grey for our flock......this is never going to happen!
In the end I will keep waiting but this seems to be a theme, a rehomed Grey just doesnt seem to be working out for us.

I to wish I were closer to Sophie! I really do have alot of love to give to a bird in need of a second chance.

Thank you though for all of your thoughts and advice yet again!

drop

Oh no, I'm so sorry Kim. Both for you and Baby :(

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im so sorry to hear that,sounds like maybe she just wanted the money.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear about this update Kim. Dealing with folks who want to rehome their parrots can indeed be a very delicate situation. If not handled appropriately the whole situation can definitely go south. :( There will be other greys who will need a great home.:hug8:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
That was enough to prove she doesn't care if this bird is in a loving home Or not. She's wanting the money and nothing else. She doesn't care about the bird :(

If she truly cared where this bird ended up she would not of got aggravated over some questions, Questions that should of been asked and addressed and a person who cares for the bird they're re-homing/selling or what not Would address the questions w/out a blink of an eye.

evsrin

That was enough to prove she doesn't care if this bird is in a loving home Or not. She's wanting the money and nothing else. She doesn't care about the bird :(

If she truly cared where this bird ended up she would not of got aggravated over some questions, Questions that should of been asked and addressed and a person who cares for the bird they're re-homing/selling or what not Would address the questions w/out a blink of an eye.
With you 100% on this. In the owner's mind maybe she think she cares, but she's still thinking about taking a hit on what she paid on him... so that's her putting the money first. Actions speak louder then words:rolleyes:

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Willow

Sprinting down the street
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
I'm sorry Kim. The right bird will find you, and when that happens you will understand why the others kept not working out. I will say a prayer for this grey, that the idiot who owns him does find someone to take him who will not treat him so disrespectfully.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Wow!! :( Maybe there is a way to arrange shipping?:huh:
Hopefully! If so, I will of course do all I can to help Kim.
I actually called the fellow- he lives so near us!
He may reduce the price to the right home.
I hope this may pan out for Kim.
(she's at work, but I did call and talked to Kim's hubby)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully! If so, I will of course do all I can to help Kim.
I actually called the fellow- he lives so near us!
He may reduce the price to the right home.
I hope this may pan out for Kim.
(she's at work, but I did call and talked to Kim's hubby)
Maybe it could really WORK with your help Doris.:) That's awesome that you called and are willing to assist.:)

Willow

Sprinting down the street
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

evsrin

Wow that is great! I believe that when it's the right fit, things will fall in to place without having to really force it! Good luck with this, it would be so wonderful if it worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.