• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

After desexing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I just got back from picking Ollie up from the vets, we had her desexed. (it was done yesterday, she stayed over night)

The problem is, she doesn’t use a kitty litter, so we have to let her go outside, I am so worried about the stitches getting dirt in them or being ripped out.

Which brings me to ask..

- What are the chances of the area getting infected? She doesn’t roll around in dirt or anything, she is actually a really clean cat, lol.

- What are the chances of the stitches coming out? What does she need to do that would be so easy that they will come out.

She is stressing out something bad, she doesn’t want to be inside.
:( She must stay inside though, and I am trying to get her to relax a little. I am going to have problems letting her in and out to go to the toilet and this is what worries me the most, she is hard to get back inside. All the vet said was keep her in a warm, and quiet room for the next few days, and in 10-12 days she is going back to have the stitches taken out.

Our 2 kittens are being desexed next (one next week and the other the week after), but they use kitty litter and are happier being inside, so thankfully we will have no problems with them.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I would not let her out for at least 48 hours. You will not get her back, believe me. Put her in a very small quiet room (a bathroom is ideal) with a litter box. Make sure there are no rugs or things she can eliminate on. She will either mess on the floor or use the box; probably the box. You need that 48 hours for the healing to begin, so if she does rip out those sutures after she goes outside, she will not end up with a totally gaping wound, just an open wound.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you, Lois. I would much rather clean up after her than risk her going outside and something happening. We have kept her inside, she went to the toilet twice in the litter, but she also went to the toilet in the corner a couple of times. I really don’t mind though, I have been doing the cleaning up, and I am much happier knowing she is safe inside than outside and possibly her taking off and something happening. :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
She is expressing her displeasure with you for locking her up with that mess in the corner. Just make sure you deodorize it thoroughly when she is done with her quarrentine. It is so common for cats to rip out their sutures right after surgery, I have come to expect it. I had approximately 32 cats desexed in my lifetime of having cats, and fully one third of them (both males and females) ripped out their sutures. With the females, it is more extensive, but if you can get them to wait 12 to 48 hrs after surgery, you will have a worrisome situation instead of an emergency trip to the vet and long term antibiotic treatment.

Hope kitty is doing well. She will get over her snit about being locked up soon enough. Right now you are very low on her list of preferred humans, I am sure!

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Good luck with your dear cat..we had one who despite everything we did unpicked her stitches three times..we nicknamed her quick unpick. Somehow she got round the collar, in the end we had to put some bitter stuff on the wound that was given to us by the vet...it worked. Hopefully your cat will behave.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Normally cats don't really get their cuts infected. they tend to be very clean with them. I would check each day to make sure that she's not torn a stitch and the area isn't reddened or infected. If you feel really concerned you can put neosporin or the like on it once a day. Cats back bounce from spaying and neutering really face, so she should be just fine. :) Though I agree with Lois and keep her in for the first few days to make sure she's feeling better.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Also be careful with her jumping, etc. Try to keep her calm. My cat burst open her stitches, and incision, from jumping down off high things.

kali

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kelly
yup, good advice from everyone!

if you are worried about infection your vet or pet shop should have some Woundgard. it's a bitter-tasting antiseptic spray that stops picking.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The thought of a cat ripping open stitches is not nice, I can’t imagine seeing it. :eek:

I will make sure to do a huge clean up in the bathroom once she is done, but I have been making sure the bathroom is kept clean too now, especially after she goes to the toilet because we have to shower and use the bathroom to wash our hands and I don’t want everyone in my face about it stinking and looking gross, I am a neat freak and I wouldn’t let her sit in there unless it was clean anyway. :o:

I have been checking the stitches a few times a day, the stitches are looking great! :D It is only a little spot with a few stitches and the stitching is white, I have been meaning to get a photo, I will try that tonight. She doesn’t jump around which is good, so she is no chance of her jumping and ripping open the stitches. She has been keeping the area really clean, but as I said, she is a really clean cat. We are keeping her calm and quiet, it is just my mum and myself here for the next 5 days, my brothers have gone away, hooray!

ETA: I just went to check on her and mum said she was sitting by her bed so she let her up and she is fast asleep on my mums bed now, just until my mum goes to bed.:)

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
yup, good advice from everyone!

if you are worried about infection your vet or pet shop should have some Woundgard. it's a bitter-tasting antiseptic spray that stops picking.
I have to go to the pet shop anyway, so I will have a look. Thank you!

And thanks everyone else!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Sounds like she is doing great! She'll get through this just fine! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.