• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African grey with a macaw?

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
Do any of you African grey owners have a macaw as well? 20180417_151306.jpg Someone is rehoming a young (2yr) grey and my husband and I are thinking about it but idk how a grey would be with Dorian. I don't expect them to be bffs or anything just civil lol before Dorian came to live with me he lived in a pet store with lots of other birds but since he has been with me he's my only big bird.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
I have a grey but I really want a blue and gold macaw too. I'm just not sure if they would get along, my grey is super spoiled.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
A thing to keep into thoughts is that a macaw is a ‘non dusty’ bird and a grey is a very dusty bird.
@faislaq has a dusty too and non dusty macaw:) I can’t Remember anyone else who has them mixed at the moment!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our cockatoo sleeps in our room and her day cage is on the far side of the living room from our macaw's cage and playstand in the dining room with 2 air filters in between. And they don't interact with one another. I thought she was asking if a mac & a grey would get along? That I wouldn't try.

@Danita @Nikomania @Jenphilly @riddick07 are making it work with macaws and either a grey or too or both. They might have some good tips or advice. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have an Austin Air set up right beside the macaw. Some macaws seem to be much more sensitive.

And the B&Gs who are more sensitive don't have a sign tatooed on their forehead that they are more sensitive - it's a crap shoot.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
Are you saying that the dust from my Grey may affect a Macaw? That Macaws are sensitive to bird dust?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Yes. It is my understanding that New World birds, especially macaws, can be affected by the dust of Old World birds (cockatoos, greys and cockatiels).

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
IMO, there are more reported B&G cases because they are the most common large macaw companion. I know of scarlets, GWs, and others that have sadly succumbed to PH.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's scary when you know the possibilities and have both. I have two cockatoos at work that throw quite a bit of dust. :(

When I learned of the dangers I re routed air supplies and venting systems in my bird room. Separated the cockatoos and gave them thier own air supply. I have quite a few expensive air purifiers and shower the cockatoos daily... it's never enough comfort. Not worth the risk.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The crazy way the world is today I bet some humans will ignore the advice of those that know and house old and new world birds together.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a CAG and 2 macaws. I keep them completely separated due to the potential health risks for my macaws. There was a prominent member on AA who lost her macaw due to exposure to her grey's dust. Her tragic story is what led me to keep mine completely separated.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
I wouldn't get a Macaw if it's unhealthy for the birds, that's why I asked. I wouldn't intentionally do anything to harm the birds, I Love my CAG to the moon and back.... Thanks for the info

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Max and Titan our blue & golds are both upstairs on the top floor in their own rooms away from the cockatoos and tiels. Ivory the fully feathered bare eyed cockatoo is caged in the lower living room area 2nd floor and the macaws are out almost all day in the upper living room area still the 2nd floor. She has a small air purifier right next to her cage and it helps.

My cockatoo who is half bald and barely has dust of his own is downstairs on the ground level along with all 3 of my Cockatiels which are the dust monsters. The macaws would never survive down there it’s extremely dusty. I have a large air purifier and a humidifier downstairs (the ground level is my space). The humidifier actually pulls quite a bit of dust out of the air. During winter I can’t run the purifier because the space heater and purifier running at the same time blows the fuse every time. So I’ve been running just a humidifier instead, I actually bought it for the snakes not the the birds lol, and it actually seems to work just as well. I’m guessing running both the humidifier and purifier during the summer will actually cut down the dust significantly. So if you can cage them away from each other and use purifiers plus baths you can make it work.

The humidifier I use has a filter of its own. I’ve changed the filter once so far and it was disgusting with a large amount of dust caught in it.
https://www.amazon.com/MA1201-Whole...=1524202954&sr=8-18&keywords=Large+Humidifier

The air purifier I use. My mother has the smaller version of this one next to Ivory.
HealthMate | Welcome to Austin Air