• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey Check-In

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Im a new CAG owner! Since last Friday :)

Meet Coco!

Coco is an unsexed, 10 year old rehome.
I got him from an elderly man who had to go to an elderlyhome, as such he had to part his bird :(
While i do have some parrot experience, i was rather suprised how easy Coco stept up and asked for scritches and kisses.

Attachments

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Im a new CAG owner! Since last Friday :)

Meet Coco!

Coco is an unsexed, 10 year old rehome.
I got him from an elderly man who had to go to an elderlyhome, as such he had to part his bird :(
While i do have some parrot experience, i was rather suprised how easy Coco stept up and asked for scritches and kisses.
Welcome! Looks like Coco is sweet :) Lucy is also 10 years old rehome! They're lots of fun!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Its suprises me really how easy Coco seems to bond, since last friday she only had a few hours “watching” before Saturday she allready stepped up and kisses and all... And now whenever i go near she instantly drops her head for scritches and wants to step up to sit on my shoulder for even more cuddles :)

Ive always thought parrots need a few weeks/months to establish trust, for my OWA this surely seems to take years now :)

So.. is my CAG weird, or is this normal behavior for a CAG?? :)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Its suprises me really how easy Coco seems to bond, since last friday she only had a few hours “watching” before Saturday she allready stepped up and kisses and all... And now whenever i go near she instantly drops her head for scritches and wants to step up to sit on my shoulder for even more cuddles :)

Ive always thought parrots need a few weeks/months to establish trust, for my OWA this surely seems to take years now :)

So.. is my CAG weird, or is this normal behavior for a CAG?? :)

Coco is a sweet bird, and no not weird, what's defined as normal? Cags chose their pace when it comes to bonding, trust. For some it's days, others weeks or months. You have a gem on your hands. And it's evident your doing it all especially perfect as far as coco is concerned. His reactions prove that. That's earned Jan, not given lightly by any means. And you've earned it says coco.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
First photo he is in his clean cage enjoying a strawberry and orange. Seond photo of Paco when I got him, he is in my zon's old cage while I cleaned his Paco with Strawberry and orang on his nose.JPG Paco eating hard boiled egg.JPG

Last edited:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Hawk you got that right, define normal? I have discovered that CAG are moody or maybe it's just Paco. Some days he is Mr. Chatterbox and playing others, he sits in his cage. We are still working on getting to know each other. I try to keep to a routine as much as possible and I still need to quench my nervousness around him, (after a few chomps on the arm) While he eats his breakfast, I tell him to scootch over so I can get his water bowl for clean water. He had a water bottle and it was slimy with filth. I felt a water bowl was better. He is not used to anyone being in his cage to fill bowls. The lady that owned him had one bowl for seeds, there is a little door that I guess she fed him through. (I don't know what happened to that dish) He is coming out of his cage more often and exploring his world. I know with time he will be a great companion. Now if I could figure out what he will eat.... sigh. Some days he will eat well other days he tosses everything out of the bowl to the bottom of his cage.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I have learned that sometimes, you have to stand your ground :)
When i got my Amazon she would not eat anything other then chips, bread and sunflower seeds...

Clearly not the best diet in the world, and getting her on pellets was hell the first few weeks. Then one day i was done with it. Eat your pellets or go hungry.

She eats pellets now. Parrots dont die if they dont eat for a day..
i recently got a grey who, like the zon, had a bad diet :( (parrot knowledge leaves a lot to be desired here in NL)
Thankfully, the Amazon showed the grey how to eat pellets, making the transition far more easier then the first time :)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Trust me Lincee I can feel your pain. I was fed up one day and I gave him some heated up frozen peas (he still won't eat them) and tossed in some pellets. I almost fell out of my chair (I sit outside the room in the dinning room) when I heard the crunching of pellets. I noticed also if I had feed him he will nibble on treats (carrots, squash etc.) I have watched him approach his stainless bowls, I honestly think he is afraid of the bowels. This guy was cage bound for 6 years, (I have no idea what his life was like before then) he is 19 and was in a cage that was so dirty even the poor bird smelled. I know it will take time and I am so grateful for this group.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
The problems some birds need to overcome :( i am so glad another parrot has found a golden home with you! Thank you for that :heart:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I like the strawberry pic too. That is orange zest all over his nose. He has good days when he will eat good.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
My Amazon was neglected as well. She was a White Front wild caught, seed diet only, in a cage that was too small for her and left alone in a bedroom. She was my best friend for 25 years. I chose to put her down when she had gout and crystals on her kidneys. I was not going to force a bird to live at the bottom of a padded cage the rest of her life. She was full flighted. It almost broke me in half. Two weeks later the cashier at the gas station I go to told me she had to rehome Paco. She worked so much he was plucking. His perch was covered in lord only knows what and I guarantee you his cage had not been cleaned in 19 years, she thought it was old with rust. It was old food and feces. Took me two days to clean it. I have no idea what this woman was thinking. His water bottle was brown with slim. She has a child, her home was clean. Did it not occur to her that an animal needs to be clean? And to think she has a cockatiel in her care??? I gave her my own tiel cage which is very big and roomy. I pray that all birds are treated well and hope they find new homes if not. People think dogs are abused? They should see how parrots are treated.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yes that always amazes me so much.. i recently got in an argument with an elderly couple...
They have a CAG in a large case in front of the window, the poor thing sits there all day, in the cage, with a swing, 2 perches and a rope...

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well Paco has one wooden dowel, I tried to replace it with a nature perch poor guy almost had a coronary. So I got him a new dowel, the old one I couldn't get cleaned. He has a short concrete? Not sure what material it is in his cage and a swing. Not sure if he can even fit on the swing. I haven't pushed changing his cage right now. He gets out every day and sits on his door, walks around on top of his cage and has even ventured out by sliding down the bars to look at the floor. I have a cell phone pic but can't log in on my cell phone. I can tell he is getting healthier, he now is getting tail feathers and his wings are beautiful in color. He has small fuzzy feathers coming in around his neck. Time will heal.