1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent African Grey Breathing trouble

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by tracey&chyna, 4/11/18.

1. tracey&chyna

tracey&chyna Meeting neighbors

Tracey
    Enigma & Lady Jane..yep waiting for him to say start it. The plan was to do Nystatin for a week then ACV if all was well. He changed that plan when we went back yesterday. I am looking at her Nutriberries/Avicakes...they say corn syrup and several different acids...these should not be given? She normally loves these but lately has been just throwing em out. Heck shes throwing everything away except the Lafeber Nutrimeal bars I just got her to try. The only thing she will eat consistently is scrambled eggs. Does that mean natural sugars too like carrots and sweet potato? I know her throat hurts but any advice on what I could keep trying that may be soothing that wont add to the problem? Is there anything that I could safely add to her eggs to help boost her weight? It seems warm stuff is more accepted right now.

Claire, yep she has an air purifier...it's a must with her. She also gets steamy bathroom time once a day and showers or a misting regularly.
    She is still making her feathers look ragged, the dr is hopeful that once we get this cleared up she will stop the overpreening/barbering..whatever it is she is doing. Bless her heart..she is probably just trying to fix whats wrong and doesnt know how other than to chew. I also noticed she has never been one to chew up perches..but thats a thing now too...I feel like she's probably going crazy with all this mess. I will check out that Fauna Flora..thanks!
    Giving her all these meds is so stressful for her, the long car rides, and just feeling bad is all stressful...I worry thats not helping matters either.

Love My Zons likes this.
  2. metalstitcher

metalstitcher Rollerblading along the road

Rhiana
    I just finished reading all of this and I am so sorry your baby is sick. I went through an ear infection that started out as spirochetes became a staph infection then back all in a year. I know how frustrating this can be but it sounds like you are in good hands. If she doesn't like the taste of the medicine try mixing it with a cherry juice. I had to do that and there where times I had it all over my face because some little birdy could taste the nasty stuff in it.

:hug4:

tracey&chyna and SandraK like this.
  3. tracey&chyna

Tracey
    This day just keeps getting worse. First, she wouldnt eat her breakfast..3 bites maybe! Then we were giving her the last med this morning( I normally drip it by drops on the side of her beak/tounge) and she does fairly well, considering. As soon as I got ready to drop some in, she raised her tongue, and left it up for the longest. I am terrified I may have aspirated this baby. I dont know how I could tell?

She went to her cage and started agressively biting the bars...never seen this before! Then she started shredding her rope perch...I had to take it out! Then I look over and shes full blown plucking ...i just watched her pull feathers from her belly. Our vet told us yesterday he wouldnt be back until friday. I am just a crying mess. I dont know what to do for her.

4. enigma731

enigma731 Sprinting down the street

You didn't aspirate her. You would know if you did.

5. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Vendor

Claire
    Glad to hear all of the above! You are a good birdie Momma for sure. I have a packet of the fauna flora, I will send it to you. :)

6. metalstitcher

metalstitcher Rollerblading along the road

Rhiana
    @ncGreyBirdLady and @DQTimnehs do you possibly know if this might be hormone related? I know they all have their weird quirks when it's that time of the year.

7. ncGreyBirdLady

ncGreyBirdLady They call Me crazy like its a bad thing! Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Bonnie
    Tracey,You are a wonderful fid Mom:hug8:Try not to be so scared(I know-hard to do) But She can be reacting to your nervousness . I do not think her reactions are hormonal.The combination of everything that is going on is very stressful for both of you.I will get back on this later-I have to get to work .Try to be calm,she is gonna be Okay:hug8::hug8::hug8:

WingedVictory and Love My Zons like this.
  8. tracey&chyna

Tracey
    Thank you all!
    Enigma, thank you for telling me that, I saw it yesterday and you don't know the big sigh of relief I had!
    Oh Claire, I totally forgot to go look for that stuff....she had me so out of whack yesterday!
    Rhiana...right before all this started she got hormonal for the first time in her life. I really wonder if the stress from that didn't set all of this into motion. I don't know alot about the hormonal stuff, but I am learning, or at least trying to.
    Bonnie, thank you..I was really doubting if I am fit to be her mom, especially when I feel like I am not helping her. I keep trying to figure out what I could of done that allowed her to get sick from the start.

Today is a new day, I am trying to look at this differently. The good thing is ...no respritory issue, her air sacs and lungs are clear...so we got past that hopefully. Perhaps I need to relax and give the new meds time to work. It's just hard to do when we have been at this since March.You just want them to be ok right this minute, and I know it doesn't work that way. I worry about her loosing grams during all this..and maybe I just worry to much, but I hate to not worry enough if that makes sense. I am wishing for the day where I don't feel like she's gonna die.

WingedVictory likes this.
  9. ncGreyBirdLady

ncGreyBirdLady They call Me crazy like its a bad thing! Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Bonnie
  10. WingedVictory

WingedVictory Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Gary
    You are doing great!!!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)