• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey and Lovebird?

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
We're taking care of my Grandma's African Grey, and as you know I have 2 beautiful lovebirds who are VERY curious and I'm kind of worried Dante or Jewel might get hurt. Dante flew right next to the bird and the parrot seemed afraid of Dante, but all Dante did, was kiss her wing and she fluffed up. I know it sounds like I have nothing to worry about, but I'm scared Zazu (the African Grey) might accidentally hurt him or Jewel in fear of them harming her. So I guess what I'm asking here is, will that happen?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
African greys are often fussy birds who only like the company of birds of their own species, and even shun other African parrots.
The beak size between a grey and a lovie is stupendously different, and if Zazu gets annoyed, all it would take is one small nip to potentially cause a lot of damage to Dante or Jewel. Personally, I wouldn't let them have out-of-cage time together, and I'd keep Zazu's cage top covered with a blanket or something to prevent your lovies getting their toes chomped if they land up there.
Better still would be for them to be housed in separate rooms, if at all possible. I'd hate for anyone to get hurt!

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
African greys are often fussy birds who only like the company of birds of their own species, and even shun other African parrots.
The beak size between a grey and a lovie is stupendously different, and if Zazu gets annoyed, all it would take is one small nip to potentially cause a lot of damage to Dante or Jewel. Personally, I wouldn't let them have out-of-cage time together, and I'd keep Zazu's cage top covered with a blanket or something to prevent your lovies getting their toes chomped if they land up there.
Better still would be for them to be housed in separate rooms, if at all possible. I'd hate for anyone to get hurt!
Thanks so much for the advice, I'll try to keep them apart, but it might be hard since she's gonna be with us till November

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
If you really want them to interact, why not just put their cages next to eachother? That way, Zazu gets to see them and your lovebirds won't be in danger of getting bitten.

I know it can be hard to keep birds apart, but if you segment off a room for her (or your lovebirds), it's do-able. If her cage is on wheels, you can even just move her into a different room and close the door, then let your lovies out, or something.

Hang in there, I know you can do it!