1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advise needed from HH owners

Discussion in 'Hawkhead Trail' started by Sparky, 4/8/19.

1. Sparky

Sparky Meeting neighbors

Annerie
    I am looking into getting a baby hand raised HH parrot. I am an experienced parrot owner, and own 12 birds - parrotlet to macaw and everything inbetween. Some of my birds are in pairs (two male ringnecks, 2 male macaws, a macaw and a eccie) and share indoor cages. They are not bonded pairs, just very good friends. Others have their own cages, but they get along in two groups when out in the aviaries. I do work full time every day, so the flock environment for the birds are very important to me.

I was planning on getting only a HH parrot, but recently started looking at the idea of maybe getting a black headed caique also as a friend. They will share a very large indoor cage, and have their own aviary for playtime. Both will be raised together by the breeder out of the egg.

I have read and heard that HH's are prone to turning on their mates or owners, and that they can kill their mates even if they are a bonded pair. This make me reluctant to get the caique as friend as lots can go wrong while I am at work and they alone together at home.

But if they are raised together since hatch, will the HH still turn on his friend? Just looking for any advise on this matter please...

Last edited: 4/8/19
  2. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
  3. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
  4. lexalayne

lexalayne Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Alexa
    My hawkhead came as an adult and was so sweet and loved my family. Then after about 6 months he started attacking, biting, and hissing whenever we were near him. I’d rather take on a rehome or rescue macaw. Maybe someone on here has had a better experience.

5. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Diane
    I'm no expert by any means but I've read that caiques don't always get along with other birds either. I would be very very reluctant to let two birds, especially different species, live together in the same cage.

Sparky likes this.
  6. painesgrey

painesgrey Rollerblading along the road Vendor

Rachel

Yup. My Cake and Pippin are bffs but I still keep them in separate cages. Caiques' exuberant, energetic nature often gets annoying and frustrating to other species, which leads to fights. I'd not trust putting a caique in with a bigger/smaller bird due to risk of injury to either party in a scuffle.

Sparky and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  7. Sparky

Sparky Meeting neighbors

Annerie
    Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it. I will then stick to just getting the HH Parrot. It will be a challenge already - I have read that they can be very difficult pet, so then no need to complicate matters further by adding a caique.
    Hopefully things will be better by getting him as a baby and teaching him correctly from the get go.
    Thanx guys!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)