• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice please - what do you think?????

Mike Gentry

Moving in
I have a spangle cobalt (single factor violet) hen and a yellow recessive pied male - both are English budgies and very nice birds. Can anyone predict what the babies would most likely be - colors I mean. thanks

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is there a calculator for this? Or a chart? Try an online search?

Bump.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How do you know they'll breed?

Mike Gentry

Moving in
Why would you ask that? They have been together for about 9 months and act very compatible. I haven't got a nest box. I'm asking for advice and what the young ones may look like.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Just because there are 2 birds living in a cage doesn't mean you will get any babies.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Just because there are 2 birds living in a cage doesn't mean you will get any babies.
He's right, you could have the most compatible birds ever, and they will not breed.

Have you done any research into breeding? It's not as easy as it looks. Just because budgies are small, doesn't mean that you can easily breed them. You should be doing as much research as possible, which will also teach you a lot about budgie genetics. You will need to learn about dominant mutations, recessive mutations, colour adding factors, sex linked mutations, dominant mutations with exceptions, hidden or split mutations, masked mutations.... the list goes on and on and on.

It's hard to say what your babies may potentially look like, since we do not know if your birds are split for any other mutations that may not be showing in their plumage. Without knowing the heritage of your birds, it's just a guessing game.

With the information you have given us above, you will have a 50% chance of Regular Green, and 50% chance of Green Spangle for both males and females. All chicks will be split for blue and Rec. Pied.

Mike Gentry

Moving in
Thank you, that is what I was looking for. I understand the issues with breeding budgies and the probability go two birds breeding by themselves.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They're right, budgies tend to be colony breeders - they breed better if there are other budgies around (though generally not in the same cage unless it is a very large aviary as females may fight over nest boxes). Also English budgies are not as free breeding as the more common American budgies. A single pair may breed, but it's just not a guarantee even if they like each other a lot.

Be sure to give them a healthy diet with lots of fresh foods like greens, veggies, or soaked seeds, it can be helpful for getting them in breeding condition, but more importantly, is also the best for their overall health.