• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on which breeder to choose

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
We r getting a green cheek conure.the breeder/bird store up the road has several 4 week old gcc. 1 is available 4 purchase.they r all in separate bins,the 1 available baby squawk cries all the time, they really get no interaction. Of COURSE baby is adorable,but i wonder what kind of personality will he have because he's been ignored and will continue to be ignored until he is weaned. The parent Birds belonged to someone else who gave the store owner these birds to sell. Or I could get a bird flown out to us from Rita at Rainbow parrots. Her Birds seem socialized, can fly, and are used to other birds, and they seem confident. Green-cheek conures for sure all have their own personalities so there's really no way to know what any bird will turn out to be. The local store owner doesnt understand y I am changing my mind about buying one of his store birds, but I'm not going to tell a busy store owner that I think he could do a better job of raising the babies , LOL . My husband feels it is weird to buy a bird that will be flown to our house that we have never met, yet I just feel I have a better chance of having a good personality with Rita's Birds what do you guys think?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Is there any way you could go to a rescue and adopt a gcc? Then you would know their personality, and give a bird a great new home. :)
If you don't wish to rescue however, I would go with Rita at Rainbow Parrots. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you spend time and visit the store enough then you can work with and bond with the gcc. Whether you have the bird shipped or get one from the store depends on what you feel most comfortable with.
You can check in your area, too, and find out if there are any rescues available or even check Craigslist or petharbor.com.
I had my Dusky conure shipped to me and that worked out fine.

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
I didnt feel like me spending time with the baby, would make up for lack of him being able to bond with other birds and learn how to be a gentle Playmate etc.. I just keep thinking they are going to mess him up in the head with all these weeks that he's been alone I just don't like it. We are getting a young bird now in a few years down the road he can have a companion then I would get a rescue bird, for sure. Believe me I feel bad and I cried when I told my husband I didn't think id take the baby I'd seen locally, , because I had spent time with him and I feel bad, but I cannot rescue every bird I see that I do not think has a fit atmosphere