• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on sleeping environment for my Timneh?

Kelly&Larkin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kelly Fletcher
Hi all, I'm a fairly new member. I mostly lurk, but actually could use some input at this time. :)

My Timneh African Grey is named Larkin. She's been with me since she was several months old, and she just turned 16 last month. For most of this time, she's slept in a covered cage at night. First covered in a separate, small sleep-cage in a quiet room, and then, starting about four years ago, covered in her large day-cage in our kitchen, where there's usually some quiet traffic during the night. She seemed fine with that arrangement; she hated being tucked so far away from everyone else, and she has plenty of time for napping during the day.

Then, a few months ago, she started absolutely REFUSING to go into her cage at night; she's been sleeping outside the cage. She was pretty serious, and I didn't force the issue. When someone goes into the kitchen at night, sometimes she looks up and peeps, maybe has a snack before going back to sleep--and other times, she either doesn't wake up or just doesn't bother taking her head out from under her wing!

Basically, she seems to be doing fine. She pretty much doesn't want to be messed with at night--because she thinks I'll try to put her in the cage and cover up her the night! I don't think she's afraid of being inside the cage, because she hangs out in there a lot during the day while I'm working (and she doesn't have to--she always has free range of her cage/play gym, her own span of kitchen counter, and a bird ladder between the two).

So, how important is it that she sleeps in a covered cage? Intellectually, I think that this must be a real problem...but in practice, it really doesn't seem to be. Any thoughts on this? And if she really does need to be caged/covered at night, any suggestions on how to make it less onerous to her?

Thanks in advance!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Laced

Strolling the yard
I'm still kinda a new bird owner myself, so totally just my opinion lol I'd be super paranoid about what they might get up to alone, but if your house is 'birdproof' and they are often alone (unsupervised) during the day.. I would think it wouldn't be too much of a problem? Only just that it would be easier for something to spook him if the house is dark?

I think I might be more concerned that hes refusing to go in his cage in general.. how hard is it to cage him when you need to? Not that my bird is super easy to get back in his cage, but in an emergency i can grab him and shove him in and make up for it later, not sure how well that would work with a grey, without losing a finger lol

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So, how important is it that she sleeps in a covered cage? Intellectually, I think that this must be a real problem...but in practice, it really doesn't seem to be.
Not important at all. What is important is that they get a full comfortable restful sleep. However that is achieved and it sounds like that's what she gets.

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it. As long as the environment is safe I don't have a problem with it. I've had birds that lived cage free all my life. It's all about environment. Always is.