• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
Hi everyone. I had some questions about the pros and cons about starting with a hand fed baby or purchasing and older Caique. There is a 4 yr old White Bellied Caique that has just come back into the bird store on consignment but also some new babies white bellied and black heads. My question is. My boyfriend and I currently live together with our French Bulldog puppy. We went in and spent some time with the 4yr old for about an hour and he was extremely sweet stepped up right out of his cage and went back and forth from us with no problem or hesitation. My concerns/questions are would it be easier to bringing up a baby to learn our schedule and get comfortable around the dog. I just don’t know how adaptable the 4yr old would be. My worst fear is that he would get stressed out and over whelmed with all the change. Is it easy to acclimate an older bird, I know he is only 4 but still. Also the hormonal changes, when do those normally set in? We are very excited to begin our journey into Caique ownership. We have lots more questions but figured this would be a good start Any information/advice is greatly appreciated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I personally will never buy a baby again because I can't handle the first hormones and personality shifts. Babies love everyone, but adults are more picky. If you have an adult that likes you, that is a surer bet than a baby. Birds are also a lot more adaptable than we give them credit for. I believe caiques are sexually mature at 2 to 3 years old, so you would be past the first hormones, but still would have to deal with yearly hormones (like any bird).

Regardless, dogs and birds should never be allowed out together. Dogs (and most mammals, really) carry bacteria in their saliva that can cause death in birds with a single scratch. We have unfortunately seen a lot of dogs that were fine with birds for YEARS and then suddenly an accident happens and the parrot dies. So separate playtimes, etc so everyone stays safe.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
If a bird chooses to like both you and your boyfriend that's a winner from the get go.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I agree with the birds being more adaptable then we think. I just adopted an 8 year old semi traumatized brown headed parrot in February. I would say schedule wise he was good within 2-3 weeks. He absolutely adores me, but, he's also hormonal and was rehomed 3 times before me for biting issues, so we are working on those as well. Like @Mizzely said, babies love everyone. I have a friend who has a green cheek conure and that was her baby, as soon as it hit maturity it went to her bf and now wants nothing to do with her and screams all day. Personalities are set with an adult, they change with babies. Good luck in whoever you choose, and lots of pictures once you do!