• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed

Fontenoy

Moving in
Real Name
Nerida
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. My two georgeous baby lovebirds have been with me 10 days. They are about 8 or 8 weeks (I think). Initially they whew quite tame but now quite frisky. One who I have now named Shelby is Tampere than the other Digby. They hate me putting my hand in cage. But if I don't how do I get them out. So they get scared with me getting them out. After they settle outside Shelby is ok and enjoys my shoulder but Digby has nothing to do with me. Positive Digby does not like me. Will go anywhere to get away from me. I was not set up properly for them and after they arrived and put them in the cage realised it was too small so had to buy another largish 24" flight cage. They like it. But do not have many toys only a swing a ladder and this bell ring. They are bored during the day so have taken to eating the paper. I have tried feeding them 50/50 seed and pellets and give them vegetables and fruit. A few days back they liked the rice and broccoli but now will not eat the vegetables. I am trying to ween them off seed but unsure how so feed 50/50 seed and pellets mixed. They were hand fed/raised by the pet show owner at home until they were off being fed by syringe. They were tame then but now seen nervous and flighty. Guess that is because they are no longer being fed formula. Shelby I believe there is potential but Digby not so sure. What should I be doing here? And how do I regain there trust and get them the come out of cage. Shelby eventually when out will sit on shoulder and finger but once sees digby is off. Dig by not interested in me at all. Your help and advice here appreciated.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Why are you trying to get them off seed? A mix is great. Pellets, seeds and fresh produce is perfect!
Once babies get flight, you are starting over. That's just the way it is. You need to slowly earn their trust again. Just open the cage door and secure it open somehow. If they want to come out, great...if not, then that's their choice.

Every bird is different...
You are seeing this first hand. :) Not all birds are cuddly teddy bears, and some will want nothing to do with you. That's just their personality. All you can do is act naturally around them, and give them a safe, structured life...and hope that trust will grow.

Nami

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicola
Lovebirds naturally eat seeds in the wild and as mentioned above they can also be included as part of a healthy diet in captivity along with veggies and pellets.

Trust will come with time and lots of treats. Birds all have different temperaments and some will come around quicker than others and some won't come around at all. They're still young, impressionable and have plenty to learn so I wouldn't fret :laugh:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You have had them 10 days and they are 8 weeks old. They need time to breath, get used to their new world they are now in. Dont force them for anything, let them go at their pace, you follow their lead. Patience, they will come around. :smileflower:

Fontenoy

Moving in
Real Name
Nerida
Thank you for your replies. I am weening them off seed as pet shop said pellets are healthier and to live a long life need to be weened off. At present am only giving half seed half pellets. What are treats? I read on Internet you need to handle them every day and touch them daily otherwise will not get that closeness. They are bored during day and was told need handling about 2-3 hours every day to train them. It's is early days but hope I have not ruined the relationship with them. How do I fix that? I really want a close non threatened relationship with these two lovies. Also pet shop said if the continue to be scared may need to go back on formula to regain trust. As for food I give them fresh vegetables but am think inking of buying packet vegetables and fruit to put in with seed.

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I would be very wary of any advice from a pet store that tells you to put a weaned bird back on formula to get closer. It's like they skipped over the whole patience aspect of owning a new bird. My rescue mini macaw Fred has been in my home for two years almost now and we're still not "cuddly" together. It's all at the birds pace.
As for treats, fresh mashes are easy to make (and our forum has a ton of examples in the food section) as well as bird bread (my budgies and macaws favorite).
Hopefully someone who knows a bit more about lovies can help out with your situation.
And congrats on your new babies. :)

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
I agree with the above posts. We have a love bird who is just over 4 months old. When we first brought her home she wanted to hang out with our budgies more than us for the first couple of weeks. I was given the same advice as you...be patient. We would hand feed her while she was hanging with our budgies. She would step up for us since the beginning, but would fly back to budgies play area after short bit. A few weeks after she would hang with us longer, we would walk around the house with her and she would stay on the top of my head while folding clothes. Now over a month later she lets us pet her and she hangs on my shoulder and carefully "pecks"my face if I bring it close to her. I have her hang out on my shoulder while I fold clothes, she watches me, preens herself, and plays with my earring a bit. She has now made folding clothes my favorite chore, lol.

Keep interacting and talking with them, and hand feeding treats.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Also, since you mentioned they don't really have a lot of toys, there's a lot of make it yourself toys they would likely enjoy out of things like toilet paper rolls, cupcake papers, etc. I make it a family project and my kids love making cute toys for the budgies.

Fontenoy

Moving in
Real Name
Nerida
Hi Everyone
Thank you for all your wonderful replies. An update on my progress with Digby and Shelby. A few days ago I put the cage on the floor, not far from the play pen and took out their ladder attaching it to the play pen along with a millet spray draped across the door entrance. I opened the Door and left them be. A few minutes later Shelby, the dominant one came out followed by dig by. This has been happening for a few days now and they love being out a few hours ending up rooting on a table. I stopped handling them. Initially was chasing them to hold them and play and was separating the. Spending half an hour each in separate room. That was each day so I could touch and they could get used to me. But I felt uneasy having to grab them to get out and then chas to get the . Stopped that now so haven't touched them or separated since they are now coming out by them selves. Getthing them back I use a spare perch they jump onto and then I move them separately to the door entrance. But going near them is a disaster. They just run away from me. Last night Shelby was ok and not so nervous by Digby as usual stays away from me. I am really loosing hope they will get any better and trust me. But one thing they are coming out of cage alone now. Have I ruined trust cometley? I have had them two weeks and guessing they were about 5 or 6 weeks when I got them. I also find they since 2 days ago are interested in snuggling in the corner of cage and shredding paper. Have started chirping to each other or calling. But when I am around they are active, when at work or out I gather just sit or shred paper. Your view would be welcome here.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Congratulations on your baby lovebirds! I am also about to make the plunge and get two lovebirds. Look for the thread "Boba's updates". Sam only has one lovebird but he chronicles Boba's behaviors and how he takes his time with Boba never pushing him to do anything he doesn't want to do. They're moody and hormonal little buggers, their moods change like the wind. But with patience and gentle offerings they will develop a trust in you and relax and be free to be the little comical acrobats that they are!