• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice Needed for Newly Adopted Pionus

ANU9410

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amanda
Hi All,

A friend of mine recently passed away from COVID and I adopted his Blue Headed Pionus as his family couldnt care for the bird.

The parrot (Fred) is 18 and was bonded with his previous owner.

Any tips/advise on how to make this adjustment easier on Fred and how to bond with a previously bonded bird is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
If you can bring some toys, perches and possibly the cage from his old home so he can have some familiarity.
He is also probably going through some major grief from the loss of his person so offer him lots of comfort and reassurance.

I’m so sorry for your friend. :sorrow:

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
We adopted a nine year old Pionus who was presumably bonded to her previous owners. Pionus generally like to observe without being too physically close - so just let Fred be close to you as you go about your day without crowding him or trying to initiate too much contact. And try to keep things familiar if you can - similar routine, if you're familiar with his old routine at all. Our bird adjusted very well, though it did take about a year for her to be fully comfortable with us.