• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed for a big softie sucker

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
So, I keep wanting to start some training with our birds. Nothing big. Mostly stuff like:
"Poop preferentially in these places around the house instead of on my bed, my head, or my homework."
BUT
When they poop in the places they're not supposed to, I react in what are apparently hilarious ways. Then, I clean it up, and I don't have the heart to cage them or anything when I know my reaction its self has done the real damage.

Just basic "I can keep my house relatively clean, and sometimes have things that don't end up with hidden poopies behind them."

This is just one example of course.

They're step up trained (when they want to be) and wonderful.

Oh, and any suggestions for things to train them to do that will make their lives more enriched/happier?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So, I keep wanting to start some training with our birds. Nothing big. Mostly stuff like:
"Poop preferentially in these places around the house instead of on my bed, my head, or my homework."

Well I hate to be a party pooper but that is the one thing you will not have much success with. More importantly it's "dangerous" to potty train a parrot and can cause problems.

If you study the anatomy of a bird, you realize that they are meant to go when they have to. They have to remain lightweight at all times as they are a prey animal and be ready for flight at any given moment. They do not possess lengthy colons to store excrements. Many documented birds having severe medical problems and illnesses, for example prolapse, as a result of being potty trained, holding it, and holding it too long repeatedly over a period of time. Exception: Nesting hens will hold it all day.

Even more dangerous to encourage a bird to poop on command. They will try to force one out even if they don't need to. This practice is VERY DANGEROUS as it can cause cloacal prolapse, a horrible thing. You can encourage them to let you know when they need to go poop and make sure they are in an appropriate place to let one fly.

My opinion? Birds poop. Have your rag and bird-safe cleaners handy.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
Here I was thinking my birds pooped on everything because I fail at parronting

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You can try training things that will help with their care, like not being afraid of a towel, taking juice or water from a syringe, and letting you file their nails.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
A better idea might be to train yourself to keep an eye on them for the good old booty scoot shuffle. :lol:

Both my birds are pretty good at not going on people (although if they are on a hand and let one go over the edge and a leg happens to be in the way, that's our own lookout) by their own preference. If they are having an extended cuddle or whatever, I know to keep a tissue handy as soon as they get off me, because I know they are going to drop a bomb the next place they stop. Usually the only problem is Frodo going and then deciding to be territorial over it and lunging at my hand when I approach with the tissue, little stinker that he is, so I have to distract him away from it first.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
The big difficulty with Picasso is that she can't grab onto anything with her feet. So instead of extending her butt outwards, she just fluffs and squats and its really hard to tell that apart from when she fluffs because she's contented, or offended or... just feeling fluffy.

I like the idea of training them to be comfortable with towels and such. Picasso will still use a syringe, but Quijote won't, and that could be a problem later.

Also, BREAKING NEWS!
After two years Miss Pearl the budgie has decided we don't seem intent on eating her. Hands and sudden movements are still a big no-no, but she has actually been flying out of the bird room to sit on our heads, and shoulders, or just to perch near us and chitter. She has also decided I can be holding something in my fingers to feed to her instead of having to leave it resting on my open palm.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
So instead of extending her butt outwards, she just fluffs and squats and its really hard to tell that apart from when she fluffs because she's contented, or offended or... just feeling fluffy.
Awww (in both the "too bad" and "adorable" sense).