• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for the bath?

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
I said in my last post I got my budgies a few new things, one of the is an attachable bath that goes where the small cage door is. So far I’ve had no luck getting them to try it, anyone have any ideas?

Also, mosquitoes are becoming a problem in my area. It’s the season. Anyone know any easy to make traps so they won’t get near the birds?

Temi's Tavern

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Temi
I do not really know anything about mosquito traps, but I think that your budgies will warm up to the bath soon. Maybe try encouraging to use it by placing treats or millet near it and hopefully they will come to investigate. Good Luck!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Try vacuuming. :mariecleans: Something magical happens that makes some birds want to bathe.

As far as mosquitoes, I can't think of anything that wouldn't also be potential hazards for your birds. Are there any zappers with screens small enough to keep your birds out and away from the zapper enough that they couldn't reach it? Would it be possible to keep them out to begin with?

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
mine had such a bath, they went in a couple of times to drink, never bathed in it, they much prefered the tiny drinking cup hanging on the side of the cage. I heard someone say they didn't like the sounds of a closed place like those baths. I give my birds a shower each week, made them a little cage with a perch in it and spray them in the shower. Otherwise they'd never bath and I don't want smelly birds! Well, actually I started with this because one of them always had a dirty back end when he was a baby and I really didn't like to have him step up and eat in my hand before he was clean!! And as he seemed to enjoy the shower we just continued even after he had learned to be a little more presentable by himself.

D

Deleted member 29421

mine had such a bath, they went in a couple of times to drink, never bathed in it, they much prefered the tiny drinking cup hanging on the side of the cage. I heard someone say they didn't like the sounds of a closed place like those baths. I give my birds a shower each week, made them a little cage with a perch in it and spray them in the shower. Otherwise they'd never bath and I don't want smelly birds! Well, actually I started with this because one of them always had a dirty back end when he was a baby and I really didn't like to have him step up and eat in my hand before he was clean!! And as he seemed to enjoy the shower we just continued even after he had learned to be a little more presentable by himself.

I find that they dont like deep cup-like things to bathe in. Mine like a very shallow dish. Sometimes when I put a plate of wet leafy greens out, they roll and flutter around on the wet greens.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I find that they dont like deep cup-like things to bathe in. Mine like a very shallow dish. Sometimes when I put a plate of wet leafy greens out, they roll and flutter around on the wet greens.
Mine prefer their drinking cup to the bath, the cup is much deeper and really tiny, don't ask me why they love it.. It may be because it hangs on the side of the cage, they don't like to bath in a dish at the bottom. The higher the better.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
2nd the vacuuming and I got 2 mosquito zappers - sorry not so simple- but they help with flies too

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Over time my two budgies now adore getting a warm mist spray. That bath thing that attaches to the cage is good for food but not a budgie bath. I desensitized my birds to the gentle spray slowly. Purchased the small bottle in a pet store amphibian department.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I usuallly mist. Some are naturally afraid, some love it right away, and some of my rehomes have experienced misting as a punishment. Using a happy fun fun voice helps them get used to it.