• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for ringneck owner

parrot.lady

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello...I am new to the avian avenue world and initially joined so I have a place to talk about my sweet African ring neck named Petrie. :) I rescued him in April of this year, April 1st to be exact, and was told he was around a year old and he already had a full ring. He was extremely un tame from the start but never aggressive, just afraid due to his past and his fear of hands. He has made so much progress (personality wise) from that point. He wouldn't allow me to go anywhere near him and would attempt to fly (although his wings were clipped, which I did not have a choice in the matter) and he was as silent as a mouse. He has since learned to come out of his shell and has become far more comfortable. He chirps, giggles, dances for random objects, and makes typical ring neck noises. Since I have rescued him he has gone through a very long and heavy molt, in which his clipped feathers have fallen out and have been replaced with very long healthy ones. So with that being said, he is now flighted (and he very much so uses this to his advantage). Because of his past, he is very afraid of hands and will not allow me anywhere near him without wearing gloves and it breaks my heart because I cannot handle him otherwise without him flying away. Are there any tips to gain his trust and try to free him of his fear of hands? ~sorry for such a long intro but he is a very long story~

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Personally, I would stop using the gloves, and try clicker training him. It will go slowly at first, but over time he will come to trust you, and will also learn helpful behaviors as well. There are a number of threads on this forum about clicker training, or, if you prefer, there are many videos on YouTube.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Petrie! :)

Excellent advice by @expressmailtome ..ditch the gloves! You want to work on building a trust between you and Petrie. With some birds, it comes easy, although with most, it's a challenge. I'd assume the people that owned him beforehand tried to pet him when he was with them...not knowing that ringnecks really don't like that very much...so now you have a bird that shies away from hands.

Clicker training will help build trust...and is a great way to show that your hands are not going to ever hurt him. Does Petrie have a favored food treat...if he would take the item from your hand, great....if not, just let him see you put the treat into the bowl. Talk to him when you do this, and "model" eating it before giving it to him...;)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:welcomeavenue:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
You could also try a stick or rope perch for him to step up on.

parrot.lady

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you for all the suggestions. unfortunately, although I would love to ditch the gloves he will not step up otherwise. (will not step up onto perches). But, it will happen eventually! I have tried clicker training with him, and although it worked for a short amount of time because he realized he could get treats out of it he quickly lost interest. The only reason why he trusts the gloves is because they only handled him with gloves and never with bare hands. when he did see bare hands, sadly, it was in some form of neglect so I fear he will never get over this phobia..at least not for a very long while. I haven't completely given up faith in clicker training yet because we made some form of progress even if it was small. :D

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

calibird

California Bird Nerds