• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for baby lovebird

Emii

Moving in
Hello everyone.

I just recently got a 8 week old peach facesd lovebird. (2 days ago)
We are getting a long great he is learning how to step up and target.

I had a few questions:
I let him out for 15min-30 minutes 3-5 times a day. When I put him back in his cage, he completely ignores all his toys and tries to get out of the cage to be with me. I am a bit worried about him not being able to play by himself. What can I do about this or will he figure out how to play on his own?

Attachments

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
What kind of toys are in the cage? Do you play with his toys with him? Also, it had only been 2 days and he is only 8 weeks old, meaning he probably still wants companionship rather than independence. My girl didn't really start playing with her toys until a week and half after i got her. She also prefers to play with toys on top of her cage rather than inside. I've had her for 6 months now and she only started to really enjoy the toys inside her cage a month ago. She really enjoys yucca wood, anything that shreds, small enough to throw around and oddly enough... toys 3 times her size.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Keoki is finally not fighting going to bed anymore. Thank God :angel1: But he doesn’t like being in his cage at all especially when I’m home. I do play with his toys, and plays fine outside his cage but he is so strong willed that even if I put those same toys inside his cage he will completely ignore and either sulk and sit on the bottom or he fights to get out. :naughty: Anyway, the point is he’d rather be out with me then in a cage with all the cool toys. Just got his Sea grass mat that has these cups I can hide treats in. He’ll igrore it. Haha

Last edited:

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
They are very social animals. They’re not used to being alone. Especially (I think) when he/she is just separated from his mother and maybe brothers and sisters. Keoki is not seeking toys, but company.
That’s why I’m preparing for a second bird. I’m not saying you should do the same. But it could be an option.

Emii

Moving in
Ling is doing much better now. He is playing with his toys and is enjoying being with me.
He has entered his beakiness phase though. He wont let me preen him anymore.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When I let my birds out of their cages for short periods of time, like 15 mins, they do not like going back in the cage. They pace, hang around the door trying to open it, chirp and try to get my attention. However, after a longer time out of the cage and a good fly, they are easier to put back in the cage and usually eat, drink then sit. Maybe try letting them out fewer times but for much longer.
My birds are out either once or twice a day, but for hours. I avoid short times out of the cage unless I have let them out and then something unexpected arises and I have to leave or put them back for whatever reason.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
They are very social animals. They’re not used to being alone. Especially (I think) when he/she is just separated from his mother and maybe brothers and sisters. Keoki is not seeking toys, but company.
That’s why I’m preparing for a second bird. I’m not saying you should do the same. But it could be an option.
He had a companion Gary (Parakeet) but my daughter begged me to take Gary. Physically, I really can not handle two birds, so I agreed. But they did keep each other company. Both birds are doing fabulous! I asked my husband yesterday if Keoki was calling out for Gary, and he said no. Gary is content where he is too. I do let Keoki sleep out side his cage in my bedroom when I have to work all week, but on the weekends, he sleeps in his cage. We will see how the weekend goes, but I do leave music on for Keoki. He was happy when I left for work today. :)