• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for a clingy sun conure?

Capricorn29

Moving in
Hi! I recently posted about my new Sun Conure Skittles. He is now 4 months old. He is so adorable and loving and fluffy and overall I am so happy with him. But...he is super attached and I feel bad because of my work schedule. I am out of the house from 6am-5pm. My husband feeds and interacts with Skittles at 7. When I come home, I have to cook and feed my other animals. I feel badly for Skittles so he comes out immediately, even though he is screaming and I shouldnt be reinforcing it. It is hard for me to cook with him. He wont sit on a oerch or counter, table. He comes right back on me within seconds. I cant get much of anything done as a result. I dont go to the gym anymore because of it. My daughter also has soccer games weekly and on those days, I see very little of him. So i really feel so bad for him and that is why I dont know how to ser limits when I have free time. Like on weekends he is out for large chunks of time, but glued to me. I feel a little overwhelmed by it, even though I also think it is endearing and cute. I cant really let him on the floor while i cook because i have a pug and 2 cats. The cats arent interested, but you never know. The pug just wants to play, but can easily harm the bird. How can I better balance all of this? Is he going to be more independent ever, or will he be like this forever? How can i teach him to be independent? Like i said i try to have him play on his own nearby, but he ALWAYS comes right back on me. I am not complaining. I just wanna make sure my bird is happy and that I am doing all that I can for him especially since I work.

Attachments

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He needs a friend housed in a separate cage. Is he in a room where he an see you while you cook? My cats eat from cans, and I prepare bird meals ahead of time and freeze them. Don't let him on the floor, that is very wise of you. Can you take him to the game in a little carrier?

Capricorn29

Moving in
It is chilly in NYC now for me to take him outdoors
Not sure if another birdie is in my budget and if i have time!
I know it is supposed to be beneficial for them.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
It is chilly in NYC now for me to take him outdoors
Not sure if another birdie is in my budget and if i have time!
I know it is supposed to be beneficial for them.

Actually it's not fair to the bird to have a single bird since you have so little time for him. Granted cleanup will take a little longer but feeding two is not much different than feeding one. This way the bird won't be lonely. It's the best thing you can do for your bird imo.