• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Advice/assistance urgently needed

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Our power was shut off yesterday. I pulled dexter out of my room (which is already freezing) and put him in blackbirds old cage (its the sturdiest cage that could fit in the living room) but the rest of the house is slowly dropping in temperature. Its dropped 17 degrees overnight, making it 53 f. I don't care about myself, i can put on a coat. I dont know anyone in town to take him until saturday (when it should be back on). Id use space heaters but no power to use them.

If anyone has ideas itd be greatly appreciated

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The lady at our aviary here says she doesn't worry until it drops below 51 degrees. So I think you're still okay for now. Can you maybe put hot water bottles around the cage?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
You can get some of the largest heat packs you can find. The ones that hunters use to keep warm. Warp them in a blanket or towel and put them under the cage grate or some place Dex can't get to them. They will help I keep a box full on hand for this type of situation.

Edit: Wrap the cage in blankets the best you can also to hold in heat but still let air through.

Last edited:

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
The lady at our aviary here says she doesn't worry until it drops below 51 degrees. So I think you're still okay for now. Can you maybe put hot water bottles around the cage?
Ill look into making some, the hottest we got i tap water. I knew i was okay for now, im mostly worried because its gonna be two more days at least until the power comes on

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

These will work for 8 hours but you must wrap them in several layers of toweling and vet wrap and place them where Dexter can not reach them. Blankets over the cage will help to keep the warmth in.
Hot water bottles will work also a 2 liter bottle filled hot water and stuffed into a tube sox will keep warm for 1/2 to 45 minutes.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Like everyone's mentioned, hand warmers, blankets. I bought two of the big packs of handwarmers, 20 individual ones (10 pairs) for 7$ each. It's good to have them on hand. If you have to, you could go to a bird-friendly hotel if there is one near you.

I hope you don't have to wait that long for the power to come back!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad your power is back on! :)