• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice Appreciated

ynaffit2043

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all, I am new to the forum and apologise if this has already been covered..

I have 2 ggc one I have had for nearly 12 months (female) and is hand tamed. I have noticed since getting my 'hand tamed' male about a month ago (he is about 7 mths old).. In the attached pic she is at the front while he is hiding at the back..

She has become a lot more agressive and nippy towards me.
Whilst he won't let me get anywhere near him no matter how patient or what food I have..

I would appreciate any advice on how to curb her agressive behaviour and also let him I know I mean him no harm and begin to handtame my little boy. As it is really disheartening that I can't get my lil boy to trust me.

Attachments

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Did you put them together straight away before you gave him a chance to get to know you? If he's already bonded with her, and she's claimed him as a friend and potential mate, then of course she is defending him jealously and he is more interested in the other bird than in the human stranger. I think that's one of the reasons that most people recommend keeping a new bird quarantined for a good few weeks and then introducing them gradually -- besides making sure the new bird won't make the others sick, it gives a chance for the new bird to get to know you and begin to establish a bond with you.

I wish I had some constructive advice to offer, but if you are looking for a strong hands-on relationship with both birds I'm not sure how to go about trying to get that, other than working with each of them separately.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You know the old saying. Two's company. Three's a crowd. You're the third wheel.

In time you will all become friends but this is on their terms and their timetable. This is not going to happen tomorrow, next week or next month and that's only if you consistently "earn" it. Technically they do not need (or really want) you in the relationship.

You should give this a read. It will fill in a lot of the blanks for you.

Sex and the Psittacine (Parrot)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Heather is correct.

Have you used positive reinforcement training with them?

ynaffit2043

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you all for your comment, I did not put them in the same care immediately. They were in separate cages placed next to one another. It has only been the last 2 nights they have been in the same cage (because he is so difficult to get in his own cage). But from the first night he has been very skittish and will bite (and draw blood) when you try to handle him in any way...
I will have a look at the link posted and continue to be patient.

Thank you again! :)