• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Adventure time

What to do as they become more and more comfortable outside cage?

• Slow down outside cage time and go back to more hand training.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, keep doing what you're doing. Outside time with you will build more trust.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other, read my post below.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yet another update. I swear I would not normally be posting this much if they weren't making so much progress so quickly. They have been making what seems like exponential progress in the last few days. Its also absolutely hilarious how they trade places every day. They must have "pillow talk" at night to decide who is going to be the brave one in the morning...

Today Emma has been ALL OVER :)

By the end of the day today I had both of them willingly coming out of the cage and playing on external ladders, perches, and my parrot playstand. They have also been flying down onto the table and eating/hanging out next to me all day. Emma has even gone on two long distance journeys today (I think she got a little too ambitious). She started flying out of the cage and doing laps around my head. Then moved onto a good 15ft lap across the kitchen and then back to the cage. Finally she decided twice today to turn the corner and head into the family room ultimately coming to rest both times in the spider plants near the fire place. The most amazing part is I think she is really REALLY finally starting to trust me (even more than Charlie) which is a world apart from yesterday. To get her back near the cage (and to her boyfriend who was worried and calling her), I used the food bowl to transport her safely back. The second time, I did have the food bowl in hand, but was able to actually get my index finger under her several times, ultimately getting her to step up without panicking. She willingly perched and rode back with me both times to rejoin Charlie. Very happy that they are able to get out and really stretch their wings now. I'm sure they are going to sleep really well tonight.

Here are a couple of short videos of them earlier in the day first getting used to the play stand.

I probably may need to start thinking about what to do when they start getting too comfortable being out of the cage and maybe don't want to go back in. Perhaps I should only serve their food in the cage now going forward. Obviously it's their home so I don't think they will ever not want to go back, but I see them getting "VERY" adventurous in the next few days. Does anyone have any tips for me here? Should I slow their progress a little bit?

OMG how cute... As I was typing, Charlie came out and landed on my laptop screen and Emma landed on my wrist... Another first! First time they have come to me willingly without food.

This was such a good idea :joyful:

Having best time ever...

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Awesome progress! They are adorable!

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
They are VERY Cute Babies!:xflove:
Where did you get the bowl with the rope on it? I LOVE that!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I know I already said this -- you are awesome! They look so cute.

You don't need to worry about them going back in the cage; most fids put themselves to bed when it's time, especially Societies.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Awesome progress! They are adorable!
Thanks! :)

Where did you get the bowl with the rope on it? I LOVE that!
Didn't come with the bowl. Just a rope chain I got at PetCo and then I slipped one of their SS bowls into it to encourage them to go up higher in the stand where the permanent bowl is.

They are adorable. I'd say you are doing a superb job with them!
Thank you!

I know I already said this -- you are awesome! They look so cute.
Thanks!

You don't need to worry about them going back in the cage; most fids put themselves to bed when it's time, especially Societies.
Not so much worried about the end of the night. More so if I needed to suddenly get them back in their cage because I needed to go out or something else. I figure if its the middle of the day and if they are having too much fun outside, they may not like to go back and will put up a little chase :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Then maybe teach them to go in when you put in a millet stick.

Mine also like Goldenfeast Australian blend and will go in a cage for it. Bribery! It works!