• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advanced hoop flying skills

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
Hey all,

The birdies and I have been working on their redbull air race skills.
With Nila goals have been waiting for the cue and then listening for cues while in flight, so he diverts his flight to go through extra hoops. We are getting there.

Sapphire is working on going through 2 hoops and choosing her own landing spot. She tends to look at the hoop game as target training and expects me to map out her landing spots before she starts the flight. She has been making some great progress though. I'm just not very good at training her. Nila has been practising stationing, instead of flying through and cutting her off. ;)

They never fail to be cute and funny though!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I couldn't get the videos to play. :(

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Awww! They are so cute and talented! Since Joey's flying skills have gotten really good, I should see if she could do something like this. I think she'd enjoy it. Any advice?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Very awesome!:laughing12: They are so cute, and look like their having fun!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
:wow::wow: and :wow:!
I'm just not very good at training her.
What? I think you are. :yes3: When she was landing on the ring you encouraging her in a positive way to fly again, and she did. For me that is good training. ♥

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
That's really fantastic! How fun for them to be able to interact with you, like that. Nice job!

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Thanks, guys.
@ZoeyFredrik that's great that Joey is a top notch flier now! I started the birds by targeting them from perch to perch with the hoop in the flight path. After a few tries I moved the hoop a little so they had to change their flight path to get through the hoop. It seems to be easiest for them to have a couple metres beween hoop and perches at first. Possibly this is because my hoops are slightly smaller than their full wingspan...

@Eloy I really need to assess my Sapphire training further and work out what I am doing. I suspect I make approximations too large for her. She is not as confident trying/experimenting as she could be, it is hard to explain... especially without anthropomorphising! ;)