• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adorable Pics and a Feather Question

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I just had to share this adorable montage of Tikki pictures from the last few days. He's been such a grumpy butt head lately, but he still finds time to remind me why I love him so much! Also, I tried to get a picture of his wing. He had a bloody spot on his wing the other morning, which must have been from a night fright. It's not the first time he's banged up this spot on his wings, and it wasn't actively bleeding, so I wasn't too worried about it. When I gave him a misting today, the old blood was running off, and the feathers being wet made the spot look huge, and it made me nervous all over again. I toweled him to try to look, but he panicked so horribly that even with two people, my husband and I couldn't get a good look. How do you guys handle small injuries like this? My thought is to leave it alone, since it's not bleeding, he's not bothered by it, etc. 68259098_355562715375247_296759515481636864_n.jpg 67927595_661877714296282_5687489985075216384_n.jpg 68309365_361830037818318_5973904818421366784_n.jpg 68668527_357179468560297_5330974937496682496_n.jpg 69179158_379867569388880_4295323572127137792_n.jpg

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Looks like a blood feather growing in. I suppose because it is the first primary feather it is going to get knocked if he should have a night fright, etc. Personally I would leave it alone since it has stopped bleeding. Just keep an eye on it. Hopefully the danger will pass as it grows into a proper feather. I'm not an expert - hopefully someone else will chime in. He's very cute!!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It looks like a blood feather to me too. I would just watch it and hopefully it will grow out as @Fuzzy ssid. He is awfully cute!:heart:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Fuzzy thanks! This is my first real molting experience, so I'm still learning to identify when the feathers are a 'danger', and when they're not anymore. Plus he hides them so well! The only large feather I've been able to see in the keratin sheath was a tail feather. As soon as I saw it, I purchased Quick Stop blood stuff! Thankfully it became dry and flaky in a few days, and I was able to help him open it up. I'll see if he'll let me take a peek tomorrow morning during our every morning preening session :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
You are right to be wary of blood feathers - a small bird can bleed to death. If for any reason you don't have Quick Stop in the future, you can also use icing sugar (lots of surface area to stop the bleeding plus the sugar is antibacterial) or cornflour (also lots of surface area). Good idea with a baby monitor. Also you might think of getting a night light for him. I have one for Kobe who is prone to night frights. I just put a very low wattage bulb in a bedside lamp.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
He's got a night light, a sound machine, and black out curtains in his room. Plus the air purifier makes a nice white noise too. I think he is still adjusting to having Tootie's cage in the same room, as I'm sure Tootie makes noises at night sometimes. It's been less than a week since we roomed them together, so hopefully in time, he'll be used to it!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I had to pull a blood feather on Diggle last year when he completely snapped one off 2/3 of the way down. I called @Mizzely in a panic since I hadn't ever had to deal with it before and she helped keep me calm enough to pull it out. The actual pulling isn't that bad if it does happen, just make sure to have someone help hold him if you can (if it comes to that). Get a good pair of forceps just in case, better to be prepared for the worse than not have what you need if it does happen.

Cloud

Strolling the yard
I heard that if the blood is already dried, it is better to leave broken blood feather alone because it will stress out the bird again, and it could damage the follicle, then the feather won't grow back. Some say it is better to pluck the broken blood feathers because if the bird touched the broken blood feather against something, then it might bleed again.:(

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww he looks so cute! Tikki sure is an adorable Tiel!

A few weeks ago Mabel lost a blood feather and there was drops of blood on the bottom of the cage, but she had stopped bleeding by the time I got there. Her feathers were slightly stained (she is all yellow so makes sense), but eventually she was fine. If he did have a night fright and is growing in feathers he might be a bit 'off' for a few days. Mabel went kind of quiet and timid for about a week, but...well, her current fondness for standing on top of the cage and yelling at me tells you a lot about her recovery :lol:

As everyone else said, leave it to grow back but keep an eye on him.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Khizz He definitely has had plenty of mood swings since the molt started! I will forever advocate to people that babies grow up and need patience as they navigate growth and change...I try to imagine the possible implications of a larger bird acting like Tikki does sometimes, I'm so glad for his tiny beak! He gives me all his best and worse, because I'm trusted, much like my human child!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He is just so cute.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Thanks, everyone! Tikki appears to be his normal self this morning, with the exception of losing two pointy feathers while flying around today. Plus, it looks to me like he has a tail feather that wants to come out soon too. How long does molting usually last, or is there really no end and beginning?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I personally use more then just a nightlight. I make sure the bird can see his or her surroundings very well and cover only half the cage. My tiel hasn't had a night fright since I have added more light to the room during night time.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I like the fourth pic down, he looks so unamused! That's what Galahad looks like when I take him in the shower. Kind of hunched and grumbling hahaha

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How long does molting usually last, or is there really no end and beginning?
Molts can last from a few days to a few months, but my birds molts usually last 1-2 weeks. I had a cockatoo once that molted for over six months after I got him because he had come from a sad situation and his body wasn’t used to the proper food, light, etc. It was like his body wanted all new healthy feathers and now had the energy and nutrients to replace them.

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
Try having seven tiels and most molting at the same time!!!! I pick up enough feathers off the floor and in cages to build my own bird! :rofl: I have been VERY lucky. In my almost 4 years now with these birds I've only had one experience with a blood feather and that was with our first hen (Pepper.) Thankfully when the next one shows up (and it will) I'll know what to do and not panic.