• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

adopting an old breeder bird?

gennifer

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I need some expert opinions here. I adopted a 30 year old male Congo grey a few months ago and he is doing okay but I feel that he would prefer a friend of his own species. He's still mad at me for taking him away from his elderly owners, which I understand. They had cockatiels and I have no other birds right now. So I have an application in with the rescue I adopted my last grey from but despite repeated reminders over many months, they will not get in touch to do a home visit, so I assume they don't want to adopt to me for some reason. I found a breeder a few hours away with a 30+ year old male who has been a breeder for a lot of years. He lives outdoors in a flight cage alone and does not interact with the owner. He doesn't seem to have a mate right now so the owner wants to sell him.

My concerns are that this bird has been living outdoors in an aviary for 30 something years, no toys, no pets, no human interaction. I have big dogs and two cats. The cats steer clear of the bird but the dogs are all up in everything at all times. Any ideas whether this old man would likely learn to be comfortable in a home (separate cage) with another male bird and big loud dogs? I'm not looking for a buddy for myself, strictly for my parrot's quality of life. I also kind of want to save that poor bird from that miserable boring life, but maybe he's used to it now and wouldn't want a change.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
So this bird has not been around other greys/parrots other than cockatiels for decades? It can be very problematic to get a new bird FOR a bird. As you know, parrots are emotional, mercurial creatures. There is no guarantee that they'll enjoy each other's company. A realistic goal with a new bird wouid be that they tolerate each other; anything else would be icing on the cake. In my experience, you should only get another bird if YOU want one.

Also, you've only had your bird for a few months. It is going through an upheaval, loss of its former life. An animal has no knowledge of why their circumstances have changed, only that they have. Give your new bird time to adjust to this new change. That's my advice.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I also would wait till he has properly settled in before making a decision like bringing home another bird to enhance his life. I have an approx 15 year old rescue cockatoo who has been with me for nearly 2 1/2 years now and each month we notice he has come out of his shell a bit more than the month before but at the 6 month mark I really thought he had completely settled into his new life here with me, seems we learn more about each other each week and he is more and more comfortable to show me more of his character- he really is almost a completely different bird to what he was at the 6 month mark.

gennifer

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you both for the perspective! You're right, he needs more time.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Do you want another ?

if you want another and think you can give him a better life get him for you not for your other grey there’s no guarantee they will get on you may need separate out of cage time etc if you can handle that it’s upto you

if you do get this other bird I think it’s going to need a very slow and patient hand but then some birds surprisingly do well with love and affection attention they never had before keep us updated

would love a picture of the grey you have if you don’t mind sharing

gennifer

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I do want another eventually, but I think everyone's right. He needs more time to learn how to live here. His previous life was nothing like (and much less fun and healthy) that his new life with me. I do want him to have a more "normal" parrot life and maybe bond with another bird instead of me, if he wants to. Eventually.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Thank you for rescue and taking in your grey!
I agree it can take some time to settle and get to know each other, and even see their real personalities.