• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a Sennie!

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Hello all! I have been approved for adopting a Sennie from my local rescue and am super excited to bring her/him home this weekend. I will be quarantining her in a separate bedroom for 30 days and then plan on rolling her cage within view of my Quaker's, in order to test the waters before sharing open space for playtime. Since this is my first (and only?) time introducing a new member to our existing one-bird household, any advice or things you wish you had done given your own experience? I have already done some research online (including reading the pinned posts in this forum) and spoken to the rescue, but am always open to hearing about other experiences especially given the different species. Thanks!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Congratulations!! My lovebird Tito is the biggest in our group, although we have 3 chickens, 2 parrotlets, a budgie and two dogs. The main thing was and is to always supervise them after they've been introduced and start being able to be out of their cages. I know there are many here who have Senegals and Quakers but also lots of other different types. Since I have smaller birds, I don't want to introduce a super large bird into our household, unless it was an emergency, in which case, we would set up a separate room.

I thought mine were getting along great. I had done everything and when we were sure they were all getting along, Sola got hormonal all of a sudden (last week) and everything changed. Now, we're quibbling again. Almost like real children. Personality, puberty, previous experiences, species, breeding, you already know this probably. I know they will get along again (they should live about 15-20 years-hopefully longer) as time goes. If not, well, we will work around that too! I love them all no matter what. As long as they are happy.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Post some photos when he you get him home and if he is OK with you taking pictures of him. What is his name and how old is he?

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats. Post some photos when he you get him home and if he is OK with you taking pictures of him. What is his name and how old is he?
Will do! Her name is Luna (but no confirmation of sex through any testing) and the rescue was told she is about 6 years old. From the couple of times I had to hang out with her, she seems super sweet and let me give her head scritches the second time we met :xflove:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, thanks for adopting her. I like Senegals and my guy, Jake, is 31 years old. Have had him since he was 3 mos. old.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats! :marlenesmile: Really looking forward to see pics of Luna.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road