• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a Senegal

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
I grew up with parrots, but when I went to college they stayed with my parents. My husband who I started dating freshman year, is not into birds AT ALL, so I just kind of put it out of my mind. Every so often we would talk about getting a bird, but the timing was never right.

So I posted on FB today about how much I missed having birds, and a friend of mine who is not doing well health wise, messaged me saying she was needing to rehome her birds, but hasn’t been able to post them yet because she is so heartbroken over it. She has a 5 year old Ring Neck and a year old Senegal. A friend of mine growing up had a Senegal and I LOVED him, so of course I had to bring it up and hubby said ok! I am shocked!!! She has them in a double tiered cage, so I have to go cage shopping since I am not up for two birds, but once everything is ready I will be making the 4 hour round trip to get him!

I am so excited, but also VERY nervous as it has been over a decade since I lived with a parrot. I have experience with all sports or parrots between my dad’s and also working at a zoo, but I am so nervous! I hope he likes me!!!

I would love to hear any tips or see cage recommendations. I will be trying to find a cage locally tomorrow AM, but if not I will plan on ordering one tomorrow online. She recommended an A&E Flight Cage, but would love to see other options if you know of a better one. I am TRYING to stay under $200 since I still need a carrier and all of the other supplies and I wasn’t planning on this happening so quickly!

Anyways here he is! I can’t wait to meet him! :xflove:

9BAEA560-2E8B-4CB9-8A43-705087051247.jpeg 4A846FF8-8FD9-4A21-8C7D-AD7BEBA0AC18.jpeg

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh wow! What an exciting and perfect moment. The time is right and there is a bird in need.

It will be a tough time for this little guy. Senegal can be very closely bonded to single people, as you probably know. So I feel sad that he is going to have to go through that. He is only a year old, poor little one. It does sounds like a nice situation and I hope you will be his forever home.

I don't have set advice on cage size, but I am sure someone will chime in.

I just wanted to congratulate you on your new bird. He is very cute. Hopefully you will get him some healthier snacks and keep him off pretzels.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. I would recommend an Avian Adventures Chiquita but it is not within your price range. Still you might want to check it out.
https://www.amazon.com/Chiquita-Bea...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RDDJZ1ENTRT448A0QJFE Gone up in price again. However other places may sell it for less and include free shipping.
You can also check out the A&E play top cages. I purchased one and was going to give it to my Senegal but would rather have a Chiquita. I bought the 3223 play top.
Discounted Bird Cage Again compare prices.
I like the Avian Adventures because the bar gauge is a good size and it has a removable play top. I do have 4 Chiquitas for 4 red-bellied parrots.

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Thank you both! I actually just found a cage I really like. It is a bit out of my price range, but I can make it work, plus I can pick it up locally and save 20% that way! I will try to link it below. It is bigger and I love the play top and seed catcher. What do you guys think?

You & Me Standing Parrot Cage | Petco

Also, she just found his papers and he is actually two. I really hope he likes me and will be happy here. I fully plan on being his forever home. She loves him so much, but is housebound and in and out of the hospital so it has been very tough for her. She will be giving me his toys and food, so somethings will be farmiliar at least. And I promise no pretzels here! ;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I actually purchased that cage and the first one arrived with bent bars and dented trays. Replacement was also unacceptable. There are a few members here that have that cage and they have been happy with it but I thought it was flimsy compared to the other cages I had at the time (as well as the cages I have now) and I also didn't want to deal with getting another replacement so I just got a refund.

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
I actually purchased that cage and the first one arrived with bent bars and dented trays. Replacement was also unacceptable. There are a few members here that have that cage and they have been happy with it but I thought it was flimsy compared to the other cages I had at the time (as well as the cages I have now) and I also didn't want to deal with getting another replacement so I just got a refund.
Oh boo! It is in stock at my local store so maybe they will let me take a peak at it and make sure it is ok before I bring it home. Hoping now they have multiples Incase one has an issue. Guess I will head over tomorrow to see! Thanks for the help!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I don't know enough about US shops and store to really help out.

If budget is an issue you might find something great on craigslist (my version of gumtree) or some other comparable US site. Sometimes you can find really great things that just require proper disinfecting and cleaning. Another place to look is a local bird club or group. I am a member of a lot of random local parrot facebook groups. Sometimes people have great quality stuff that they are selling.

I even bought a lovely quality caged from a bird store that was used. It was in super condition. The cages I currently own I bought from an online furniture store. Oddly this furniture store carries a large selection of large cages.

So I guess look around and see if you can get a better price outside of a big box pet store. You might find exactly what you are looking for.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh boo! It is in stock at my local store so maybe they will let me take a peak at it and make sure it is ok before I bring it home. Hoping now they have multiples Incase one has an issue. Guess I will head over tomorrow to see! Thanks for the help!
Great that it is in stock at the local Petco and that you can look at it first. It's a spacious cage. Sometimes it's priced lower but you need the cage now. Here's a Petco coupon code. If you like it then order it online and pick up at store for 20% off with code pickup20. Code expires 3/21 at 11:59 PST.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love the cage look, it looks so big in that pic! But, not a good thing if its got integrity issues. Hopefully it will work out for you both! It's gonna be nice that your friend will know where he is. My guess is she may want updates on him once in awhile.

Keep us updated on your progress.

:welave:

:congrats5:

:hug9: Rain

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
So exciting! I just adopted my second Segegal about a week ago. For me they are a perfect bird :)
Since your friend and you are the same gender, the chances of the bird taking to you are high. In my experience Senegals either prefer men or women but not both.

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
So exciting! I just adopted my second Segegal about a week ago. For me they are a perfect bird :)
Since your friend and you are the same gender, the chances of the bird taking to you are high. In my experience Senegals either prefer men or women but not both.
Thanks s much that was what I was hoping! I am so worried he won’t like me! She said he is pretty friendly even for other people so fingers crossed! Congrats on your new Senegal too!

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
I love the cage look, it looks so big in that pic! But, not a good thing if its got integrity issues. Hopefully it will work out for you both! It's gonna be nice that your friend will know where he is. My guess is she may want updates on him once in awhile.

Keep us updated on your progress.

:welave:

:congrats5:

:hug9: Rain
Thanks! We are friends on FB and talk a lot so she will be getting constant pics and videos! I will definitely keep everyone posted!!

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Great that it is in stock at the local Petco and that you can look at it first. It's a spacious cage. Sometimes it's priced lower but you need the cage now. Here's a Petco coupon code. If you like it then order it online and pick up at store for 20% off with code pickup20. Code expires 3/21 at 11:59 PST.
Thanks! I am ordering it this am before work and will try to get over there to pick it up after. I only work 5 hour shifts 3 days a week (stay at home farm mom schedule lol) so he will have lots of attention! Really hoping the cage works out. Other than a few reviews of it coming damages like yours, it seems to be well reviewed do fingers crossed!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks! I am ordering it this am before work and will try to get over there to pick it up after. I only work 5 hour shifts 3 days a week (stay at home farm mom schedule lol) so he will have lots of attention! Really hoping the cage works out. Other than a few reviews of it coming damages like yours, it seems to be well reviewed do fingers crossed!!
Hope the cage will be in good condition. Since they have them in stock locally for you, if you get one with problems you can bring it back and get a different one. I think part of the issue with mine was the shipping. The packaging wasn't that great and the boxes were beat up.

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Hope the cage will be in good condition. Since they have them in stock locally for you, if you get one with problems you can bring it back and get a different one. I think part of the issue with mine was the shipping. The packaging wasn't that great and the boxes were beat up.
Thanks! The box looks good so far, but we haven’t opened it yet. Hoping to get it set up tomorrow or Saturday and I am hoping to bring him home on Monday!

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
And just for fun, here is a pic I just got of him from his current owner getting used to his travel cage. Hoping the trip won’t be too stressful for him. It’s a 2 hour drive home. When we get home is there anything I should do other than add his own toys and him (plus food and water) to his cage? Assuming I should let him settle in quietly for a few days before handling him? I can’t remember what we did for my dad’s rescue Amazon as it was over 20 years ago. All of the other birds we got were babies.

Attachments

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had issues w/ long drives from house to vet to house. The final part of the ride Buddy always gets car sick. I've read many birds have this happen. Not sure why.

Try to make his cage as close to how it was when you move him back in. It'll make him adjust better. Take photo's of it if you can, to recreate. I know I've read others that have done this, not my idea... but makes sense to me if you want them to chill out after the move.

That's all I have, hopefully others can add to this.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I have that cage. I guess we were lucky with no defects. I have had others with missing screws etc so its good before you start to lay everything out..hardware included. I would suggest you put his old toys in the cage initially to make him feel at home.