• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a multi-home bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
I'm considering adopting a eight year old Senegal who has a terminally ill owner. The bird seems to like me, but he isn't considered hand tame, has lived caged his whole life. He has had two previous owners. I am looking for input and advice from more experienced bird owners... I have only parrotlet experience, I know Senegals are different. I welcome your thoughts!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you've got the space and the time then you're a great adopter. You have bird experience. Senegals are a different species but they're still parrots. The basics are the same.

So when are you picking him up?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Go get him. Find out if there any vet records and be sure to quarantine him for at least 30-45 days.
If you have the time and the space and have made a bit of a connection with the Senegal then just do it.
Senegals are wonderful, IMHO.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you feel like the bird likes you that is the biggest hurdle. After that as long as you give them respect, patience.and understanding and let them set the pace, you'll be fine. Just remember that mixing beak sizes is always a gamble, especially with feisty species like parrotlets

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Research them...they can be very aggressive to other birds even their own species. @iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Research them...they can be very aggressive to other birds even their own species. @iamwhoiam
My Senegal is not aggressive towards other birds and I've had him for 32 years, but then every bird is different. He's definitely mellower than most of my red-bellied parrots who are not always kind towards one another.

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
Wilson is home now! I have been spending lots of time visiting him, and even got him to step up on my finger through the bars of his cage, since he has never been considered hand tame, I was surprised. We formed a bond I guess, so he is home with me now, settling in nicely.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Take some photos when you get a chance and if Wilson is OK with that. Make sure that you supervise closely if, after quarantine, the birds are ever out at the same time.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Wilson is home now! I have been spending lots of time visiting him, and even got him to step up on my finger through the bars of his cage, since he has never been considered hand tame, I was surprised. We formed a bond I guess, so he is home with me now, settling in nicely.
Friendship, love, empathy and kindness can not be seen but never doubt they are powerful energies that parrots read like a book. When you've been starved of these things and then someone comes along with all this wonderful energy, you grab onto to it. I wish you both a lifetime of happiness.

And a little reality. You are in a honeymoon phase right now anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months. At some point there is going to be a change. It may be nothing but it may be huge. Just something to be aware of and in the back of your mind.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
OMG! I really hope that you understands that you are the person for him. ♥♥♥
To get him was the best thing you could do for both of you. You will have a friend forever in him.

Senegals are wonderful, IMHO.
I never had a Senegal, but a Meyer and a Brown headed. They where both easy to take care of, excellent flyers and loved trick training.
Loving and active birds in a small body. I also love Poi's. ♥

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's wonderful! Congrats on your new bird. :)

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I think Sennies are like the sneaky class clowns. They are very mischievous and have a personality the size of a macaw. In spite of that, they are also some of the best snugglers ever! The sennie I had for a while slept on my neck every night. Roxie was very opinionated though. I warned the vet that she didn't like men. He tried to prove me wrong and she took a chunk out of his palm. He said that was normal attitude for sennies and rabbits left bigger bite marks LOL. Enjoy your baby and best of luck!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Senegals generally love to swing so, if he doesn't have one, get one for him when he feels comfortable.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Oh my goodness, he is just beautiful, you are both so lucky to find one another!! Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.