• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a GCC

roseyandgrant

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grant
Hello All! I volunteer at our local animal shelter and we recently received a GCC there. We don't normally get any birds in but we luckily had the appropriate sized cage, I have began starting her on a pellet diet with fresh fruits and veggies daily and she absolutely loves the fresh things! She is a sweetie although she is very she around most others she definitely shines around me! Anyways she's been there for about 4 months now and hasn't found a home yet and the lady who runs the rescue offered her to me as she wanted her to finally find a home. To make a long story short she is coming home with me on the 26th and I was wondering if you guys had any tips for care? I am pretty well versed in parrot care as my mother owns 2 cockatoos and a macaw. I definitely have time for her as I just turned 19 and am single. She is believed to be about 5 yrs old! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank, Grant!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oh how fun! It's wonderful that you have already had a chance to get to know her a little. You seem to be on the right track already as far as improving her diet. :thumbsup:

Welcome Grant! :greet15:

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Fresh is the best. :yes3: Pellets have extra vitamins and minerals in them so try to make pellets her normal daily bird food. Most people think birds eat seed for their daily food. That's not true. Birds like seeds but they are not very nutritious so keep the seed to a minimum and you'll have a healthy long-lived bird. :tup:
I feed Farlie a mix of veggies every day. Unfortunately, my stinker doesn't like any fruits I've given him.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Watch her careful around the toos and macaws...even landing on cages when you think one can be safely out. They are speedy wee ones.

Avian vet visit? Sounds like you are off the right start already having birds.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Yay! Adoptions are always heartwarming to me! I think keeping parrots busy is a huge part of keeping them happy and healthy. As you spend more time with her, try to keep an eye on the kinds of things/toys she likes to play with so as to foster independent play in the long run. Congratulations on the adoption and I'm happy for you both! Cheers!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new bird!

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Welcome Grant. And welcome to the madness that is a Conure, I have Cheddar. Even more welcome to a rescue, I have two 'Tiels that are rescues.

You will find your life has changed completely and that YOU will no longer be in charge without a lot of work.! To help keep your place at the top you'll need lots and LOTS of toys for you new master. Good food and like Rick pointed out pellets are a good base with seed having a small part to play, I use Sunflower seeds as a reward when training. BUT fresh food and cooked is where it's at according to my crew. Spring Greens and Baby Kale are the base with peas, corn, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots, cut into matchsticks, I don't like the baged ones as I've had more than one bag that was going bad when I bought it. Rice and Millet along with Quinoa work well here along with Higgen's Worldly Cuisine and you'll have a fat and happy little GCC.

Cheddar love a bath so make sure you little girl has a bowl of bath water everyday.

You soon find out, if haven't already, the GCC are attention hounds and will do anything to get your attention. Cheddar love to climb down inside my shirt...something I'm NOT wild about. She will be in your face all the time so if you're a computer gamer...sorry. Even things she can't get ahold of will chang. I ride motorcycles, have three, but I find myself riding less and less to look after the crew here.

Do try and keep her from the Big Birds and she can pester them to the point they might take action and it wouldn't be pretty.

Mark & Da Feathered Ones

roseyandgrant

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grant
Watch her careful around the toos and macaws...even landing on cages when you think one can be safely out. They are speedy wee ones.

Avian vet visit? Sounds like you are off the right start already having birds.
Thanks for the advice! I have a vet picked out and he's exactly where my mother's macaw and cockatoos go! He is an awesome avian vet and she had an appointment scheduled for the 28th

roseyandgrant

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grant
T
Welcome Grant. And welcome to the madness that is a Conure, I have Cheddar. Even more welcome to a rescue, I have two 'Tiels that are rescues.

You will find your life has changed completely and that YOU will no longer be in charge without a lot of work.! To help keep your place at the top you'll need lots and LOTS of toys for you new master. Good food and like Rick pointed out pellets are a good base with seed having a small part to play, I use Sunflower seeds as a reward when training. BUT fresh food and cooked is where it's at according to my crew. Spring Greens and Baby Kale are the base with peas, corn, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots, cut into matchsticks, I don't like the baged ones as I've had more than one bag that was going bad when I bought it. Rice and Millet along with Quinoa work well here along with Higgen's Worldly Cuisine and you'll have a fat and happy little GCC.

Cheddar love a bath so make sure you little girl has a bowl of bath water everyday.

You soon find out, if haven't already, the GCC are attention hounds and will do anything to get your attention. Cheddar love to climb down inside my shirt...something I'm NOT wild about. She will be in your face all the time so if you're a computer gamer...sorry. Even things she can't get ahold of will chang. I ride motorcycles, have three, but I find myself riding less and less to look after the crew here.

Do try and keep her from the Big Birds and she can pester them to the point they might take action and it wouldn't be pretty.

Mark & Da Feathered Ones
Thanks so much for the great advice!! PS she loves quinoa!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Most folks around here talk about getting a bird sitter. I've always taken my birds with me where ever I go. I have a smaller cage for traveling that fits in the front set of my car and I know that they don't mind cuz it's only for a few days at most. And they are welcome to leave the cage if they want to and they do as long as I'm right there with them... in the motel room on the bed.