• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a gcc to give companionship to my gcc...but..

Hummbird1211

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michele
Ok, so I have a female 3 1/2 yrs.old, I got her as a baby at 4 months, did DNA testing, has laid eggs the past two seasons. She has her moody times but most of the time she is great. But I recently aquire a 2 1/2 yr.old gcc.from some people who could not take care of her anymore, I say her because they say it's a girl. No they have not had DNA done on her, she is named Sam sparks, my gcc is named ziva.
So I bout Sam sparks home with her cage. I set the cage next to my ziva's cage. Sam sparks is tame but was not held alot, they would simply let her walk around all the time and put her up when it was bed time. She has definetlybeen very shy, so we take our time. The first week they(ziva and sam) would talk to one another, neither one would try to get on the others cage. This went on for a week. By week two sam would visit ziva on her cage and vice versa. At night I would put them back in their own cages, sam I would use a perch, still not trusting of the hand to much. By week three sam would go in ziva cage to eat and drink and they would hang out pretty much all day. By the end of the first month they where preening each other and finally staying together in one cage(zivas) it's a much larger cage. Now for the past week sam has down a 180, very aggressive, constantly stalking ziva, won't let anyone of us get near the cage or ziva, oh and yes someone is laying eggs 4 in all so far. Thow I don't know who laid the eggs. Ziva has been regurgitating and feeding sam. So my question is do female conures act like this even if the othe conure is a female. How should I approach this delimma?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yes, two females can act like that. Were the eggs laid every other day or so?

At minimum, you will need to train Sam Sparks using positive reinforcement training techniques. If Sam Sparks is being aggressive towards Ziva, then separate them into different cages.

Hummbird1211

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michele
Thanks for responding, there were two eggs on one day then another laid a day later. So far no aggression to ziva.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If two eggs were laid on one day, that would indicate that you do indeed have two females.