• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting A Cockatiel

Modell

Strolling the yard
Hello all! If you've read my previous posts, I'm sorry for being absent as of late. My 14 year old four legged friend gave me quite the scare and I was taking care of him. Anyways, I got my first bird, a pearl cockatiel that hatched April 1st this year, just a couple weeks ago. To get on with the adoption thing, I am an avid rescuer and was looking through my small pound. To make a long story short, I fell in love with the first cockatiel I've ever seen in any local pound for a long time and ran and put a hold on it after a meet and greet. I have a separate cage and fortunately enough, he(Its an adult and was extremely talkative) is eating the same food I feed my baby. This new feathered friend will come home tomorrow. We've now rescued three pets in a month(One turtle, a dog and this bird). I was wondering how long I should keep them completely separated? I believe that the new bird has been vaccinated by one of the many avian vets in the area. He had bright, clear eyes, a good beak and no plucked feathers. He also had good poop from what I could see, nice and coiled.He was found free flying in my desert and slightly rural area, so Im quite suprised he made it solo. I know there are a lot of hawks and owls, though not many cats(They get eaten typically by the coyotes). He seems healthy and called after us after we started to leave. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie. Congratulations.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Quarantine the new bird for 30-45 days. Make sure not to mix food or water dishes, to wash when you go from one bird to the other and to wear something over your clothes and then remove that cover up when you deal with the other bird. If the new bird has not been examined by a vet do make an appointment for a check up.
Congrats on both birds.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations!:starshower1:
Your tiel is very cute!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! What a cutie. Yes, quarantine for at least 30 days. And I'm not aware of any bird vaccinations.........

Modell

Strolling the yard
Extremly awful news. The pound adopted the bird out this morning when we had the hold and until 4:30 to adopt him. I am devastated and so angry. The one lady lied to me and then gave my bird away on the day I was supposed to adopt it. It was in my name for today. I just don't understand why this happened. I got a new cage and everything else for a bird that is no longer mine. I am just so angry.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. That's terrible.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am sorry. That was a rotten thing to do to you. Hold onto the cage. Another tiel might come your way. I have two and they are wonderful boys.
When you do get another bird or tiel, keep them separate at all time. When the bird is out, the dog must be shut in a separate space. Dogs see birds as something that might be good to eat.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry that happened, how frustrating. I'm sure you will be able to find another perfect tiel for your home, it seems they are frequently up for adoption.
:hug8:

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Extremly awful news. The pound adopted the bird out this morning when we had the hold and until 4:30 to adopt him. I am devastated and so angry. The one lady lied to me and then gave my bird away on the day I was supposed to adopt it. It was in my name for today. I just don't understand why this happened. I got a new cage and everything else for a bird that is no longer mine. I am just so angry.
That is so, so messed up!!! Are they not going to do anything to try and get this bird back for you?!

Definitely hang onto the cage - just in case.

Modell

Strolling the yard
I called the pound and they just lied to me and made excuses. They are going to do nothing to fix their mistake. My best guess is that they gave the bird to someone they know. I contacted a rescue I found though and they will be keeping me posted on any cockatiels they get.

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
That's so sad! I hope good luck comes your way. The bird sounded like a sweet little cockatiel. I think another will come that you might like just as much. :hug8::hug8: