• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopted the lovely miss Coco!!!

Emily&coco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily king
Hello everyone! its my first time posting here! after a TON of research and much waiting I've finally adopted my first green cheek conure! The previous owner unfortunetly could no longer give her the time she needed, but I could tell she was really heartbroken to give her up and that coco was very much loved. the lady that I got her from was able to handle her no problem and although she isn't scared of me she's pretty shy. ive been talking to her a lot and she seems pretty comfortable around me (she's playing with her toys and preening when i'm sitting beside the cage) However, she has yet to take any treats from my hand through the bars of the cage. I was wondering if maybe because she has bonded with her previous owner for three years she might not want to bond with me? also any more recommendations for treats? ive tried apple, bananas, and sunflower seeds. Thanks!! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum :fairy2:

How wonderful of you to take in Coco, I´m sure it was a sad decision for the prev. owner but she had the birds best intentions at heart.

It will take Coco some time to adjust, she has a new family and a new home now. Everything is new for her. Take it slowly and you will get there in the end :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Don't worry about bonding. Let your new sweetie lead the way. Just keep doing what you are doing and have patience. A human must earn the bond with a companion bird and you have not had her for enough time yet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats and welcome to the forum!

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
:hood:
Welcome!
Also:
:needpics:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and congratulations!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Hello, welcome and congrats!! :bounce7:

I agree with everything said here, including the last 2 posts requesting pics! We LOVE pics!! Lol

Keep doing what you’re doing, sit next to the cage, read or sing - whatever you love to get her used to you. For now just drop a treat in when you come over so she’ll start seeing your approach as a good thing. You’ll know when she’s ready to go to the next level :) Birds are very good at using body language to show how they’re feeling. Read up on gcc’s here on the forum, there’s a lot of great info here.
Good luck to you both, and thank you for taking her in!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:hello1: and welcome to the Avenue, Emily! Also :congrats5: on giving a home to Coco!

Yes, remember she has just lost her flock (her previous owner and any other family), her familiar surroundings, maybe even her food. Give her time to grieve and get to know you (you are completely different to her previous owner). What did her previous owner feed her? I would keep to the same for the moment (so there is not too much change at once) and gradually convert her to your way of feeding. If you provide her with a bowl of fresh fruit and veggies plus a dry bowl with her usual seed mix/pellets, notice what she picks out first. These will be her favourite items which you can then try feeding her by hand. If she won't take them, no matter, just drop the item into her appropriate food bowl every so often whilst passing her cage. Give her time, you have all the time in the world to become friends with her.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome and congratulations :)

Emily&coco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily king
Thanks for all the good information and tips I’ll try to upload some pics! I’m just not sure how haha. So this morning she came down to eat her pellets (which are a good healthy one i think) and I had my hand resting on the open door right beside her with a tiny piece of peanut (her favourite treat) and she bit me! I know she’s just testing me out and I read to stay perfectly calm which I did, no reactions from me! And then she took the treat from my hand and I gave her lots of praise so I think that’s a step in the right direction? I also leave her cage door open when I’m in the room with her and she comes and sits on the ledge sometimes and looks around making the cutest chirping noises A0CEC43F-E543-490A-ADBA-79460CB5EC90.png

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
She’s BEAUTIFUL :heart::heart::heart:

Yes, she will most definitely be “testing” you over the next few weeks, it’s what they do lol

Congrats on getting her to take a treat from your hand, you’re doing great!

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Welcome and congratulations on your new addition!:meet: Coco is gorgeous! :heart:

Emily&coco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily king
*UPDATE*
I found out that she likes it when I sing to her, cause she climbed to the outside of her cage and sat on a perch, watched me while making little chirps like she was singing along!! Also she has accepted two more treats from my hand, and no biting beforehand!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
That’s great!! That’s one of the 1st ways I bonded with mine :) They still make happy sounds when I sing, and our nighttime lullaby ritual is one of my favorite parts of every day :heart:

You really are doing well, you’re taking cues from her and that’s really all we can do. Great job!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Emily&coco, please be very careful giving your bird peanuts or maybe even switch the peanuts for another treat?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Congrats on the little cutie! My conure's favorite is probably bell pepper, red yellow or Orange. I take it easy on nuts and seeds, but my flock does get some Nutriberries every day. The pepper ones, of course :D

Is she maybe pearly or painted? I ask the conure aficionados ;) @Mockinbirdiva @webchirp

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
She does look like a pearly conure for sure.

This is what a painted conure looks like:

upload_2019-7-27_19-47-48.jpeg