• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopted flightless rock dove

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Backstory is limited - it seems he was found at a truck stop injured about five years ago. He was taken in by a shakey rescue a couple towns over that was shut down by authorities last year. An old friend of mine took in the bird in November and has passed him on to me. She was only suppose to have him temporarily but it turned long term.

We will be home with him soon. It is assumed Tucker is a male. He is quite scared but my concern is mostly what is the best course of action for his wing. He has flights coming in on his bad wing that he holds low and kind of loose. He doesn't use this wing. Should I let him be? Or would he be more comfortable with those feathers shorter since they kind of drag?
I noticed this when we picked him up and was curious. I will be treating him for canker and worming him while he is in quarantine and getting him settled in, if it would be better to trim that wing it might be better to do it in the next few days rather than after we build trust. Let me know if I should just leave it alone.
@Birdbabe ?

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
He settled in pretty good last night. He lives in a chinchilla cage and uses the ramps like a pro. I guess this is ok?
Thoughts? He is sweet and I think we can make him happy here. He knows how to step up, and he was super excited when he heard my birds. He hasn't even heard the doves yet.

I took a close look at him once we arrived home and he had a chance to relax a while. His wing was injured at a joint and it still looks red after all these years. It is a featherless spot. I do think clipping the dragging feathers would be to his benefit, I would think the resistance would hurt and possibly cause a blood feather. It is a shame his wing was not repaired for him. Poor baby. I will post a pic or two later!
His cage is very dirty and we are power washing it today inbetween getting ready for my youngest daughters family birthday celebration and Tulip Time festival obligations. Busy day! I also need to get him some seed for his mix.

Any ideas or tips that would be helpful for a special needs bird or for a rock dove / pigeon vs ringneck doves I am
All ears.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If he can't fly anyway, clipping the feathers would be so he doesn't stumble over them and maybe hurt his leg if it got caught up in them. Also if the wing is loose and drags, that's another reason. Poor little man, thank you for helping him.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for helping him!