• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopted a kitty

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
From an animal shelter! :)
He's about 1 or 1 1/2 years old, and he was a stray before being brought to the shelter.
His name is Rin, he's been microchipped. He's also super friendly! :D

I will have to get some better pictures, he was really annoyed in this one :lol:
003.JPG

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
He so handsome! Thank you for giving him a home. My 3 cats are from the shelter and they make wonderful pets. I've had my oldest boy for 12 years...Good luck with the birds. I keep some cayenne pepper handy when the bird room is open. I've made a mote with ply and bird spikes with cayenne on the ply. It stops the cats nearing the cage but I would never leave the doors open if I go anywhere, even the loo. One of my cats in particular would outsmart me for sure. But she hates cayenne pepper on her paws....

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
If he was a stray before coming home with you, how do you know he has not already preyed upon some birds outdoors? I would be paranoid for any birds' safety under the same roof.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
If he was a stray before coming home with you, how do you know he has not already preyed upon some birds outdoors? I would be paranoid for any birds' safety under the same roof.
I am sure he has preyed on some birds outside given that he even gets exited over the ones out the window. I don't plan on even letting him see my birds because that would lead to many problems.
Our other cat has preyed on wild birds before (she has bells on her collar now), so i don't even let her see the birds, and now she has no interest in even trying to get into my room (the birds are in my room)..

I always keep my door closed, so if he (the new cat) were to try and eat the birds he would have to open the door first! And i doubt he will be doing that..
If he wants to eat my birds so badly he scratches at the door, i'll put double sided tape on the floor so he will eventually figure out he'll never be let in there.

I put my birds' safety first (making sure my door is closed, all cages are secure, etc) before the other pets are free to roam around the house.
I don't want one little slip-up to happen and end up with a dead or injured bird so i try to prevent anything from happening.

Hopefully that clears up any worries about my birds being in the same house as the cats :)

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
My heart feels better knowing that you recognize the danger and how to handle it.

slinky-kitty

How's Rin settling in? I'm sure he's loving the fact that he's got a wonderful new home :bliss:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Beautiful!

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
How's Rin settling in? I'm sure he's loving the fact that he's got a wonderful new home :bliss:
He's settling in super well! Except that he hates our other cat, And my brother's ferret... Hopefully they won't get into a fight :(

slinky-kitty

Hey don't worry. Its just like birds. It takes time for them to adjust. My big boy was 10 when i decided to add two cats then a dog into the mix. It took time but now they all at least tolerate one another. They all definitely seem to like the company. Just let them sort out their heirarchy on themselves dont force interactions and with time it will settle! Does he have a box or bed he can tetreat to and places like bookshelves to go up high? Also they say separate kitty litter boxes if you can. Just show him lots of love and things will be ok. I ended up using the feliway diffuser sysyem three in whole house snd it worked. Dont use continuously now just when i see behaviour change or ongoing heirarchy wars. It really works. Just relax itll be ok :bighug::cheer: