• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopt or buy

Birbs02

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
i would just like to start this thread so that people who are deciding to buy or adopt can see the pros and cons of each option. I am not looking to get a new bird soon but this may be helpful later on or to people looking to get a new bird.

So please if you have experiences with buying and/or adopting a bird can u discuss them down below. Thanks!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
There are advantages to both!

The best option, imo, is if you have the opportunity to adopt a well-cared-for, well socialized, adult GCC that came from a good breeder. If you are patient, you may find such a bird available, but many time, birds in rescues or for sale as adults, are problem birds, birds that were raised poorly (from bad breeders/bad pet stores), birds that were neglected or not socialized, or just birds with an unknown background.

Buying a baby:
Pros:
- You can pick a breeder that socializes babies well and gives a varied diet, and continue this yourself (babies have a approx 2 month socialization window after weaning, where they are much more willing to try new things fearlessly, older birds can still be socialized, of course, but it takes more time. Certain things, like harness training, are much harder with adults).
- Your baby won't have any bad habits yet (but you then have the responsibility of raising them so they don't acquire bad habits)
- You know your baby's background - ask lots of questions of the breeder, find out if the parents are vet checked regularly, too. A baby from a good breeder who raises a small number of babies and cares for babies and breeding pairs, will be healthier and longer-lived, on average, than a baby that comes from a poor breeder who may provide poor care or overbreed the parents.
- Many breeders ship birds, or in any case, you can consider breeders within a day's drive away.
Cons:
- You have the responsibility of researching breeders and finding a good one
- You have the responsibility of raising and socializing a baby and have to get through the 'teenage' hormonal stage
- Sometimes, if a baby has bonded to a family member as a parent, they may withdraw from this person and bond to a new person as they get older. It is natural, really, for an adult to leave its parents. This is lessened somewhat by getting a baby from a good breeder who socializes well and keeps the babies an extra week or two past weaning, then the handfeeder is the 'parent' and not the new owner. And not all birds will switch their favorite person, either.

Adopting a bird:
Pros:
- You are helping out a bird that needs a home
- You are freeing a spot for a rescue to help another bird in need (if you get one from a rescue)
- You aren't supporting a breeder (some people consider this a plus, though I have no issue with supporting a GOOD breeder)
- Sometimes birds will be vet-checked already
- You will usually know more about the bird's adult personality, you won't have to deal with hormonal behavior changes, a sweet adult will probably stay a sweet adult.

Cons:
- The bird's background might be unknown, it might have come from a pet store or bad breeder, or have received poor care and diet before you get it
- Sometimes difficult to adopt - if you are looking to get one from a rescue, many will require home checks or that you attend classes, which, while well-intentioned, means that many won't adopt to anyone more than an hour or two's drive from the rescue. Also, some may have requirements that adopters may not agree with, like requiring birds be kept clipped, or retaining ownership of birds they adopt out.
- Sometimes inaccurate info - rescues are generally trustworthy, but if adopting a bird from someone's home, they may 'forget' to tell you about some problem behaviors

Mabel

Meeting neighbors
Buying: I bought Harley, my GCC; and Mila, my Budgie; from pet stores.

I assume by buying you mean "breeders", so let me expand the topic give my two-cents about buying from pet-stores...
First off, there is nothing wrong with buying a bird from a pet store if that is what is offered to you! Though I'm sure we would all like to adopt our feathered friends so we can potentially save a life, this is not always an option considering location and lack of avian-oriented shelters.

Buying a bird from a place such as a pet store is usually 50/50. Sometimes its a pleasant experience, and sometimes it is a less-than-adequate experience. Often times, in cases such as PetCo, PetSmart, and Pet-World, these birds are from bird mills, and a lot of the haven't been taken care of properly.

Though both store-bought, Mila and Harley have had two very different situations regarding their start-to-life.

Mila came before Harley many years ago. I got her at a Pet-World which was horribly undermanaged. They had tiny cages lining the walls that housed almost 10-15 budgies each, when in reality the cages were suitable for maybe one or two... You know the type. I normally wouldn't have given into a bird from a place like this, but I had been in the market for a budgie & Mila was a beautiful pied who seemed semi-tame. To this day, Mila isn't the most social creature. She isn't mean, but you can tell she prefers being a cage bird. She loves Harley & is healthy with good feather.

Though, this is the example of one pet-store which happens to be the worse I've seen to date.

On the other hand, Harley was also a store-bought bird, but she came from the nicest conditions. I bought her almost a year ago as a chick in a locally owned pet-store outside of Anchorage. She was bred locally, hand fed, and given to the store to sell. They do this with all of their animals and they only get a few clutches a year to avoid overcrowding. She was playful, vetted, tame, and upon purchase I was given a birth certificate. She is the quiet type, only making noise to join the crowd & to have arguments with me when I take away her pony beads or blueberry yoghurt. I couldn't ask for a better GCC!

PROS OF BUYING (pet store):
-Easier access to pet store birds VS shelter birds
-All supplies can be bought on the spot
-Some pet stores are very nice and care for their birds!
~
CONS OF BUYING (pet store):
-Most are mill birds
-Pet stores are 50/50
-Some stores only in it for the money
-Often not tame
-More expensive than an adoption fee

Though, this is a standardization and PURELY based on my experience. Don't let this post discourage you, your store-bought bird may end up being your heart-bird! Though it seems I have a lot of negative words to say about pet stores, I am in fact very fond of my two store fids. Just because they come from a pet store, does not mean they will be bad birds or deserve any less love or care!

Adopting:
Though these birds are not with me anymore, I had three adoptions in my life. Cheeko, a Tiel; Sprecher, a GCC; and Mabel, a Quaker.

I had the good fortune of living near a BIRD ONLY rescue in Wisconsin. I adore going in when I have the chance!

These birds are by far the most personality-filled birds I've ever owned. This is because they are already tame, handleable, and you know almost exactly the personality you are going to get if they are older parrots. Many shelters allow and even insist you play with the bird before you take them home, so you know if you are going to be a happy pair. Adopting gives a bird a second chance at life, and that is hard to feel bad about. It is through adoption that you can acquire intelligent elders, or give a bird with special needs, such as Mabel, a new & happy home!
Though there are many benefits of adopting, one of the drawbacks is their past. Though some shelters have this information, others may not know the history of the bird. For instance, Mabel was speculated to be from a family who abused her, and she was given up because she started having seizures. Sprecher was given up because he needed more quality time, and Cheeko had no history.

PROS OF ADOPTING:
-Saving a bird
-Many different birds and personalities
-"What you see is what you get"
-Adoption fee—Not in it for money
-Usually tame
~
CONS OF ADOPTING:
-Past of the bird
-"Bird only" adopting, may need a second trip for supplies
-Shelters may not always have birds, or avian rescues may not be readily available

Sorry for this lengthy (and somewhat critical) post, but I hope it helps out!:ashamed1:

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
I am not stating any fact. Just personal experience. And personal opinion.

Adopt. Not only because of the enormous number of unwanted birds, but because they are very resiliant.

My gcc came from the worse possible conditions. A homeless man had Bird in a carboard box, in the rain and cold. His perch was a McDonald's straw but it was too high for him to sit upright. So he was hanging upside down. The open side of the box was covered with masking tape to let him see out, and the tape was stuck to his feathers.

My husband saw this and bought Bird from the man begging for change. We had zero experience or desire to own a bird. But now we do. For better or worse.

Idk about the pros of pet store or baby birds, but i do know that Bird adjusted to us in days. He was shy for a couple days. Then he basically took over the house.

I am not criticizing buying from a pet store or breeder, because I have no experience with either. Please don't get me wrong. But don't steer clear of a bird whose past you cannot know. Or one who had a bad past...not that i am saying every rescue will be great. (Bird is far from perfect.) But he doesn't bare the scars of his past life.

Last edited:

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I adopted a Meyer's from a rescue when she was 17. I know a lot of people say let the bird pick you, but in this case, I picked the bird. I don't think she would have "picked" anyone.

The bird hated me at first. I'm sure she would have hated, bitten and screamed at everyone else. She calmed down after a few months and really was a great companion for many years.

As Lesley said, they are resilient and bounce back. I know there are also stories of adopted parrots with traumatic histories who are difficult. I don't discount any of those stories or people at all.

sandybird

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
sandy
I would like to adopt a black headed caique in the Southern California area. Anybody know of any rescue sites?

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
As many of you already know I adopted Cooper (my GCC) from a lady who was rehoming him on CL in Denver, Colorado.
Even though Cooper is sometimes such a pain in my butt, I wouldn't have chosen any other bird. :laugh::laugh::laugh: I - personally - don't see any "problem" with birds who've developed bad habits because of neglect or other situations.
Cooper sometimes screams for three minutes straight, and when I go to see what's wrong (after he's stopped) it will be for something silly (I didn't put enough papaya in his dish or something. Cooper bites so hard that he draws blood, and sometimes it's not for any discernable reason. Cooper hates flying and won't fly unless he's spooked even though he's never been clipped. Cooper hates being touched (until recently he's let me - WITH PERMISSION FROM HIM - give him "scritches" on the top of his head and neck. Cooper bathes in his water dish each time I change the water, no matter the time day or night and never fails to quack for me to let him sit in my hood of my jacket so he can get dry and take a cozy nap. Cooper is absolutely the brattiest, pickiest, snarkiest, most-spoiled parrot I've ever had the absolute pleasure of living with.
He's a pain in my butt, but I wouldn't have chosen a well-socialized, polite, friendly bird over him.
The reason I say that (not trying to sound "holier than thou" because I adopted) is because even if a bird drives you absolutely insane and sometimes the two of you can't stand each other, there's something so genuine and enriching and rewarding about giving a troubled bird a new home in a place where the two of you can grow together.

That being said here are some of the Pros and Cons of adopting a GCC rather than buying one that I can think of!

Pros:

(1) There is no faster way to learn your bird's body language than if your bird bites (and draws blood). Almost immediately after bringing him home, I had to sit my mother down (she loves my Long Chicken and spends tons of time with him), and explain why she's getting bitten and why he doesn't want to sit on her shoulder. It only took me three weeks to master the dictionary of Cooper's body language, and help my mom learn too.
(2) A bird who has been in an abusive/neglectful situation will love you immensely once he/she realizes that you're going to take proper care of them. As soon as we were able to establish a routine, Cooper became glue and sticks to me everywhere I'm allowed to take him.
(3) You get to learn firsthand what all of the "problem" / "bad" behaviors are that you read about in books, and how to get your bird to stop doing them. Cooper still screams sometimes, and I swear he only does it when I'm the most irritated. But I never would've known what "screaming" is really like without him, because the GCCs at the pet store don't really scream. After you realize what they are, you get to practice using the techniques you've been hearing about.
(4) Maybe the bird you're going to adopt knows some ... colorful language?
Cooper brought a single swear-word from his old home to mine, and I think it's hilarious when he says it to my mom - albeit tacky.
(5) You won't have to endure a prepubescent/pubescent hormonal bird that'll ruin your life.
I actually read the "Good, Bad, and Ugly About GCCs" before I started looking into them, and I was not about to adopt a baby bird who might not like me after puberty. So I adopted Cooper who is even worse than the pubescent birds I hear people complain about! Lucky me! :D
(6) Your bird might know some basic commands.
Cooper knew "Step Up" and I'm glad I didn't have to teach it to him! It really saved us some time!
(7) Your bird will already have it's post-puberty personality, so you can bond even quicker with them!
(8) You're giving a loving home and a second chance to a bird that might not have had it before.
(9) You're opening yourself up to the possibility that there might be some more that you can learn about bird-care through a "troubled" bird.

Cons:

(1) You'll have to untrain an adult parrot.
Sure the biting will teach you body language and how to read it, but you still have to un-train the biting as a signal the bird can use for "No."
(2) What if your "affectionate" new companion turns out to have mild separation anxiety?
When I first got Cooper he didn't really care about being my friend, now I have to leave music playing after I leave so he doesn't get lonely. He gets so excited to see me when I come home, that sometimes I wonder how anxious he gets when I leave. We're working on it, but it's definitely a process.
(3) You'll have to re-socialize a bird that may be a bit more grumpy than others.
(4) You'll have to re-introduce the bird to the commands they knew.

I apologize if this list is haphazard - I tried to think of as many as I could, so I hope this is helpful to anyone looking to adopt! (I didn't want to include buying a bird because I don't have experience with that!)

Lesley Yeung

Real Name
Lesley
As many of you already know I adopted Cooper (my GCC) from a lady who was rehoming him on CL in Denver, Colorado.
Even though Cooper is sometimes such a pain in my butt, I wouldn't have chosen any other bird. :laugh::laugh::laugh: I - personally - don't see any "problem" with birds who've developed bad habits because of neglect or other situations.
Cooper sometimes screams for three minutes straight, and when I go to see what's wrong (after he's stopped) it will be for something silly (I didn't put enough papaya in his dish or something. Cooper bites so hard that he draws blood, and sometimes it's not for any discernable reason. Cooper hates flying and won't fly unless he's spooked even though he's never been clipped. Cooper hates being touched (until recently he's let me - WITH PERMISSION FROM HIM - give him "scritches" on the top of his head and neck. Cooper bathes in his water dish each time I change the water, no matter the time day or night and never fails to quack for me to let him sit in my hood of my jacket so he can get dry and take a cozy nap. Cooper is absolutely the brattiest, pickiest, snarkiest, most-spoiled parrot I've ever had the absolute pleasure of living with.
He's a pain in my butt, but I wouldn't have chosen a well-socialized, polite, friendly bird over him.
The reason I say that (not trying to sound "holier than thou" because I adopted) is because even if a bird drives you absolutely insane and sometimes the two of you can't stand each other, there's something so genuine and enriching and rewarding about giving a troubled bird a new home in a place where the two of you can grow together.

That being said here are some of the Pros and Cons of adopting a GCC rather than buying one that I can think of!

Pros:

(1) There is no faster way to learn your bird's body language than if your bird bites (and draws blood). Almost immediately after bringing him home, I had to sit my mother down (she loves my Long Chicken and spends tons of time with him), and explain why she's getting bitten and why he doesn't want to sit on her shoulder. It only took me three weeks to master the dictionary of Cooper's body language, and help my mom learn too.
(2) A bird who has been in an abusive/neglectful situation will love you immensely once he/she realizes that you're going to take proper care of them. As soon as we were able to establish a routine, Cooper became glue and sticks to me everywhere I'm allowed to take him.
(3) You get to learn firsthand what all of the "problem" / "bad" behaviors are that you read about in books, and how to get your bird to stop doing them. Cooper still screams sometimes, and I swear he only does it when I'm the most irritated. But I never would've known what "screaming" is really like without him, because the GCCs at the pet store don't really scream. After you realize what they are, you get to practice using the techniques you've been hearing about.
(4) Maybe the bird you're going to adopt knows some ... colorful language?
Cooper brought a single swear-word from his old home to mine, and I think it's hilarious when he says it to my mom - albeit tacky.
(5) You won't have to endure a prepubescent/pubescent hormonal bird that'll ruin your life.
I actually read the "Good, Bad, and Ugly About GCCs" before I started looking into them, and I was not about to adopt a baby bird who might not like me after puberty. So I adopted Cooper who is even worse than the pubescent birds I hear people complain about! Lucky me! :D
(6) Your bird might know some basic commands.
Cooper knew "Step Up" and I'm glad I didn't have to teach it to him! It really saved us some time!
(7) Your bird will already have it's post-puberty personality, so you can bond even quicker with them!
(8) You're giving a loving home and a second chance to a bird that might not have had it before.
(9) You're opening yourself up to the possibility that there might be some more that you can learn about bird-care through a "troubled" bird.

Cons:

(1) You'll have to untrain an adult parrot.
Sure the biting will teach you body language and how to read it, but you still have to un-train the biting as a signal the bird can use for "No."
(2) What if your "affectionate" new companion turns out to have mild separation anxiety?
When I first got Cooper he didn't really care about being my friend, now I have to leave music playing after I leave so he doesn't get lonely. He gets so excited to see me when I come home, that sometimes I wonder how anxious he gets when I leave. We're working on it, but it's definitely a process.
(3) You'll have to re-socialize a bird that may be a bit more grumpy than others.
(4) You'll have to re-introduce the bird to the commands they knew.

I apologize if this list is haphazard - I tried to think of as many as I could, so I hope this is helpful to anyone looking to adopt! (I didn't want to include buying a bird because I don't have experience with that!)

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Adopt! I have two adopted conures from craigslist. It is such a rewarding experience.

The nanday was living in a small round cage with a solid top. The cage was little bigger then her. After seeing her for weeks on cl, I couldnt take it anymore. I met the owner at a gas station and bought her then and there. I was told she is mean and had not been out of the cage in a long time. Quite the contrary!!! She is the most affectionate and silly little bird! She had a broken wing and was very weak when I got her, but after a few weeks, she became stronger. I love this little girl and am so happy she is with me.

My little green cheek is tiny. The vet said he was severely malnourished and I suspect he never grew completely because of it. He was missing most of his feathers. His cage was the tiniest. I paid a ransom of $200 (after negotiatin down from $400). They lived 150 miles away. When I met the owner at the door, I was utterly disgusted when I saw Finn's condition. I handed the $ through the door and took the bird. I was so upset at Finn's condition that I couldnt even look or speak to him. LIttle Finn has regrown most of his feathers and put on weight. He is a hoot! His favorite thing is to sit on my lap, snuggled up against my hand. He loves to wrestle and will flip on his back in my lap.

These two birds have enriched my life. I look at them and wonder where they would be if I hadn't stepped in. I do think they are grateful. Neither has ever bitten me. It has been such a fulfilling and wonderful experience, that I sometimes consider doing it again, but I know with four parrots, I just cant take anymore in. I guess the only exception would be an older amazon who just wants a safe place or if I was ever somehow miraculously lucky enough to find one that bonded to on of my four birds.

Finn after a bath and little Scout:

IMG_3788.JPG IMG_3833.JPG

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Adopt! I have two adopted conures from craigslist....]
Look at Finn...He looks fabulous and of course your sweet girl :heart:

I would LOVE to have more adopters. I currently have 8 fosters left out of the 16 that came in last year. FFOM also has 11 left at the rescue. With that being said, I have adopted from a friend, adopted from rescue, purchased from a pet store, purchased from a breeder. No differences aside from personality differences. But given helping with rescue the last few years, I am more inclined to encourage adoption either from rescue or CL. I even have a free CL bird although he is a little hands off...my most clingon and gregarious bird is from rescue. And my heart bird, Hachi woo, is from rescue.

With that said...someone needs to adopt Boober...I am having a hard time not falling madly in love with him.

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
i would just like to start this thread so that people who are deciding to buy or adopt can see the pros and cons of each option. I am not looking to get a new bird soon but this may be helpful later on or to people looking to get a new bird.

So please if you have experiences with buying and/or adopting a bird can u discuss them down below. Thanks!
My birds were in a poor situation. The owners were going on a vacation for a super long time, and would be traveling a ton, so, they priced the birds to go. We personally got my two fids, their cage, and their food and toys, for $500 (the price of a single cheeky at Petco/smart). I think that if a bird catches your eye at a pet store, give him a home, as much as i hate petco/smart. Try to find birds that are in dire need of an owner though first, such as a local rescue, some birds have been there for years and really need an owner for their quality of life. So basically things like that, but really either is fine.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
The advantage of adoption is that you can foster for two month or whatever the time frame of the agency is and find out if the bird or bird work for you. I have a sun and GCC in foster since Saturday and they seem to be very nice, but hard to say after just two days. My two yellow sided GCC came to me two month ago and I love them, great birds .

Lesley Yeung

Real Name
Lesley
Its a conundrum when considering buying from a store vs. adopting.
It isn't the animal's fault they aren't a rescue (yet). But then again, buying=breeding= pets in want of a home.
I worked for a "doggy daycare" that also sold puppies. They puppies were treated with so much love and care. I have no shame in what i did. It was a small shop. There are really bad stores out there. But it isn't the animals' fault either way.

ConureKen21

Moving in
Real Name
Ken
The amount of information given here is so nice to see. While it can be nice to buy from a reputable breeder, it might be better (this is 100% my own opinion) to adopt, because you're giving a little feathered friend a great life that he or she deserves, when they may have faced some sort of neglect. Rockybird above, for example. It's absolutely heartwarming to give love to these babies who are in need.

If I were to get another GCC (hopefully soon haha), I'd certainly look to adopt and help a bird live the best life they can.

Sorry if this post was not very helpful, but your pros/cons list was great and yields some nice information for prospective owners looking around.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've done both and I think you should do what works best for you. Every situation is different. Yes, there are a lot of birds out there who need homes and if you can swing an adoption over a baby, that's fantastic, but sometimes that isn't always the case and I do think that we should always, ALWAYS respect everyone for whatever decision they make!:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I also want to add that adopting gives you the great chance to walk into an adult bird who has already formed his or her personality and most likely won't change into a hellion!:) I have some fantastic adult birds who came to me as adult birds with the personalities already fully formed. I have some very unruly mid-adults who were the sweetest babies and are now...shall I say...pink vampires!:rofl:

Mabel

Meeting neighbors
I didn't mean to make my post seem like the past of a bird would be a big problem.
You may not encounter any problems with the bird whatsoever, even if they had a horrible past. Your bird may even be more hardy because of it.
This is just something that should be taken into account & that you should be aware of.

If it wasn't obvious, I prefer adopting :heart: