• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopt a CAG?

Lynn L.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
Advice please, new to the AA forum.

I've been volunteering at a local parrot rescue and am considering adopting a 17 year old CAG. He's been in rescue for 5 years and has issues with plucking and probably some cage aggression.

When I get there he climbs down his cage and comes to me. He'll step up and is relatively friendly, will let me scritch his head. When he's by, on or in his cage he is not nearly as friendly. He'll interact with me (he loves to dance) but will not step up and nips if I try to touch him. He will present his head like he wants me to scratch it and then swings around to bite. If he does this once, I tell him it's not nice and walk away and do other work for 10 - 15 minutes.

My experience with parrots is limited to my volunteer time at the rescue. I've been learning as fast as I can, reading, watching youtube videos. I know my lack of experience is a detriment however if I adopt him, it will be a long term commitment and I will work hard at helping him get exercise and forage, and settle into a healthy routine. I'm middle aged and have the time, drive, and finances to properly care for him.

I would love to see him in full feather but understand he may never overcome plucking or even to be able to grow feathers at this point. One concern is if he could ever trust me enough to be more friendly when he's by his cage. I considered clicker training but he has no interest in food treats. A vet check would be the first step if I decide to adopt.

So those of you with experience, do you read this and think 'Nooooo, don't do it' or do you think 'Yeah, she could make this work and give that CAG a better life'? He's not attached to any other birds at the rescue, he's a loner there.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
if I adopt him, it will be a long term commitment
I[...] have the time, drive, and finances to properly care for him.
This bird has spent a third of his life in the rescue. I´d say go for it. You seem to understand what you are getting yourself into. And you are willing to put the time and energy in to learning and helping enrich his life.
Nobody knows your life better than you, and you help in a rescue so you know what the bird needs, and you know if you can provide or not.

When he's by, on or in his cage he is not nearly as friendly.
This link will help you: Cage Aggression | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Please keep us updated,

Welcome to the forum Lynn :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like you're in a good position to take him on. I would like you to consider whether you'd still want him in your life if this is as much interaction he'll ever want from you. Many birds make wonderful companions without ever enjoying scratches or human contact. It sounds like he likes your company but you may have to accept that he'll never step up or want to be touched - are you going to be okay with that?

Much like humans, we can't develop long-term relationships with the person/parrot we think we can change someone into.

Target-training is a good way to develop communication with an animal that does not want to be touched. I taught Leia how to target a chopstick before she would step up so I could move her around the room and get her back in the cage. It also teaches the animals that you are a reliable giver of treats - you ask them to do something, they do it, and they get a reward.

Kodigirl210

CAGs are like mini-people and just as unpredictable. He obviously likes you because a Grey does not bow their head to anyone to allow them to get scritches. They’d rather bite and get in trouble than play nice. So definitely a positive there.

His feathers may also start to grow back once he’s away from the rescue. The sounds of multiple birds constantly in distress would drive anyone crazy and it’s definitely going to make a CAG nuts. Then again the damage maybe permanent. Only time will tell.

And as rare as you might feel, I defy anyone who has spent quality time with a CAG to never either have witnessed or been the victim of the fabulous game of Bait & Bite. It ranks right up with biting and laughing evilly after. (Yes, they are slightly off-kilter but we love them anyway.

Your eyes seem pretty open to all that could go wrong, but since Greys tend to be neurotic- cage aggression may go away once he’s not hearing the calls of multiple species who must be plotting to take his only bit of space away from him. After all there’s no place like home.

There is a reason a lot of AA members advocate people go to a rescue before making the decision to either get a bird or buy a bird. When go to a rescue or in your case, work at a rescue, you will find not a perfect birb, but nevertheless the perfect birb for you. And it sounds like you have.

As long as you keep an open mind, vet appointments and keep loving him no matter what naughtiness he gets into, then I say to totally go for it! Best Wishes :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does the rescue do any fostering? Perhaps you can foster him for a bit and see what you think?

You helping at a rescue is a lot more experience than most people have when they get their first bird. I think if you feel a connection to him, you should do it. :)

Lynn L.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
Thank you all for your input.

Excellent info on cage aggression. I'll have to study up on that.

He does step up already, just not when he's in or on his cage. He heads for me as soon as he sees me. I can put him in his cage though. A long time employee there was surprised, he won't let her touch him.

Bait and bite - I don't feel rare. :) I've read enough on AA to understand he's not the only CAG that does that. It is kind of amazing. They have to be able to predict a person's response to the head bow in order to make that a fun game for them. Maybe we're pretty predictable.

Target training is a great idea. I wanted to try it but he only eats his food right now. Any treat I gave him he dropped. I'll need to find something worth working for.

I would still want him if he was half bald and not affectionate. So far he's been affectionate in his own way, just not snuggly. I would like him to hang out with me and if that's on a play stand or just being in close proximity, so be it. I understand I may not be able to change much but I would like to encourage more fresh fruits and veggies in his diet (the rescue tries but they don't have time to dote on one bird much), more exercise which will hopefully reduce some of his stress, more personal interaction which might just be a daily dance party. That would be good for both of us.

I don't believe the rescue does fostering but I could ask. Good idea.

Kodigirl210

We have found the oddest (well maybe not odd to other people) foods are high value. Roasted or Not pistachios and star anise. I can’t fathom why but both the CaG and the GCCs love those and will drop everything else for them. The GCCs also hound after banana chips the CAG thinks they are foolish monkeys lol

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I hope you have decided to adopt him. I have had Paco now will be 3 weeks Saturday. He is an amazing bird!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Squee! He looks so happy!

Lynn L.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
I think he is. He's a crabby boy this morning. He'd act like he was going to step up and then he'd bite instead. So he's just hanging in his cage with the door open while I work close by.

They are so funny, he really likes big band swing music - drums and brass make him very happy.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah, he's lovely!

Yeah, they can have such intense likes and dislikes! Leia isn't particularly outgoing in the morning but neither am I - we give each other time to wake up before we are able to deal with anything! You may develop a routine where mornings are for quiet hanging out with no contact, then he'll step up or come out of the cage later in the day. It sounds like you're doing really well at listening to him.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh I'm soo happy for you. I have had Paco now 2 months, 3 bad bites, but we are working on that. He loves almonds so today I told him good boy let's go by by and get in the cage. I had a flannel shirt on to protect my arm. He reached for nut and I said up up, good boy and he did, can't bite with his beak full LOL. All in all he is slowing calming down. I found out last week he was cage bound for 6 years. These guys are very intelligent, with healthy food, love and attention they will both blossom into wonderful companions.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
He is beautiful! Thank you for helping a rescue parrot!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Great that you decided to adopt Baby.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's beautiful! Welcome to the Avenue, Baby! :heart:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Awww congratulations!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Congratulations on your adoption. Sounds like everything will work out fine for you.

Kodigirl210

Congrats! I’m so happy for you both. Greys are a bit of adventure. And they do come up with the funniest things. Mine like to climb on the back of my recliner and then jump down onto my shoulder to “surprise” me lol. Rather curious to see what fun you two will have ;)